Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:46 PM   #11

Chris,

I would have been willing to help, but I leave tomorrow on a 3 week business trip - I guess 3 weeks is too late for you . What I did for my closeups is I started very close to the flower and I increased the distance between the flower and the camera until the AF system gave me the green light. If you want to get closer to the subject, you might need to use a macro lens with the P850. Also, Cannon S2 has a 0 cm min distance for macros (maybe some other cameras have less the 10 cm min distance, I don't know) - that might be what you really need.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:34 PM   #12

Hey Dawg,

I'm stuck at work tonight too! Yeah, I'll post a pic tomorow, but I'm pretty sure all settings are where they are supposed to be. One thing that comes to mindis the hybrid focus system. I wonder if I should try turning it off for macros. The IR portion may be seeing something further away when the lens gets close to a small object. I might have better luck with Macro AF that way. Who knows, maybe Kodak was smart enough to automatically turn it off when macro AF is selected.

The posted pic will be blurry. I wish you guys could see how clear the images can get on the lcd/evf before becoming blurry again and then capturing the image.

Chris

cjh633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:53 PM   #13

I've seen that with my 6490. Usually I have the zoom on and have to zoom back to wide angle first. Even then I can get it when I'm not the correct distance from the subject. By moving in and out and refocusing when I move I can finnally get the clear shot I want. Just takes some patience and movement. The different features in this camera take a longer learning curve than the others Kodak has produced. They will do the job it just takes someone who has one figuring out how to do it and then showing the rest. From that we will all learn. I do not have the P850 or have access to one. If I did I'd be figuring out by experimentation how to do these things myself!! Hope that helps some. I'll look forward to the pics!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:20 PM   #14

Chris-

I simply went to the Scene Modes, selected Flower and kept about 4 in from the coaster, depressed the shutter release 1/2 way, got the green focus confirmation and took the photo. There was no zoom movement at all.

Try this: after you select Flower in the Scene Modes, holding the P-850 away from your macro site, run the zoom to the full wide angle position, and then set up the shot. That way there will be no zoom command during the focusing process. Please let me know how it works out.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:19 PM   #15

Nice macro Sarah!!

Dawg
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:42 PM   #16

Big Dawg-

And it was very easily done as well. I tried to tell Chris exactly how I did it. Hopefully that will solve his problems or clarify that his P-850 has a problem.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:23 PM   #17

When will we see post number "5"
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:03 PM   #18

Soon, later or not at all. I may start a pool! I choose No.2

Dawg
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:18 AM   #19

Thats a nice macro, Sarah. I'll have to try the flower (macro) option in Scene mode and see if my luck changes. Up until now, I have been using Aperature priority with a combination of Manual focus, Macro focus, and normal focus from the focus menu. In general, I like usingA prioritywith macros to control the DOF.

Chris

cjh633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:03 AM   #20

Chris-

I was just attempting to detail the very easiest way possible to get a good macro shot, because I knew nothing of your capabilities.

Sarah Joyce