Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:03 AM   #31

"Flower" mode worked better, but still a little sub-par. This camera is finicky, but you can definitely get some great pics with it as you start to learn it. Macro is the one area that I can't get the hang of. I think its the cam's one glaring weakness. All other areas are great once you get the hang of it. I'll post my best landscape and best macro so you can see for yourself what I mean. I've probably taken an equal number of each at this point. Its a shame since I really enjoy macros. Oh well.

Overall I really like the camera...

Chris

cjh633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:10 AM   #32

Grand tetons with p850...

Color may be a *little* exaggerated. Almost looks like an oil painting. Still a great pic.

Chris

(no post processing other than resize)
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:31 AM   #33

And my best macro with the p850. ho hum... I could have had a really good one of a spider but the %$#@&ing thing wouldn't focus. haha!

Chris

Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:46 AM   #34

These two are great shots Chris. I really liked landscape. The reflections are great.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:05 AM   #35

great shot
rockfordfilestcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:16 AM   #36

Hello, I take 1000's of Macro photos a year, for my online vintage advertisng business, (mostly old keychains, metal pins,coasters etc).

I am searching for a camera that can serve well those needs, but also that has more flexible cababilities.. ex. for detailed complimentary shots for my larger vintage enamel signs, antiques,etc.

I need very detailed photos, without having too sharp an image, (which scares me from the Cannon..) something that won't pick up &magnify the tiny imperfections from myvintage items,that are barely or notnoticable when veiwing the item in hand, with the naked eye.

I am seriously looking at the Kodak P850 or P880, also am researching the Cannon S2 & the FujiFilm, & small Sony, which also apparantly specialize in Macros.

My problem is, that I really like Kodak colors,and theirhistoric reputaion, Iwant to upgrade from the more limited, compact digicams, & want the camera to grow with me.

I have had much success for 3 yrs,with my cheap (don't laugh..) Kodak DC 3800. (Still working the same now,as theday I bought it..)

Although my DC3800has many bad reviews over Macros& any pics taken in indoor light situations are horrible. But, If I can get my subject outdoors in sunlight I haveacheive phenominal results just with auto settings.

(I have included an example below,from myold kodak DC3800, of the back vintage paper label, of a tiny (about 1-1/4" by 1/2") Kleenex tissue box keychain. Photo was taken about 7-12" away from subject.

I have many more examples in my online store, (on the most famous worldwide auction website), don't think I can mention their name here.. but seller name is: Collectorsnest if you want to see them.

Unfortunately, We rarely have good sun in Holland so I have to race outside every moment the sun does break through a cloud to take my inventory photos.

Does the P850 really not take better quality macros than my old 2 mgpxl Kodak?

Isit in confusion after researching thisfor 2 months..

I don't want to purchase another camera until this future purchase literally falls apart, and I hope that will be at least another 4 or 5 years.

I am not a camera whiz.. and am still learning terms, abbreviations,and what the manual settings will do. (But I am learning

Please anyone who can help me make this important purchase decision, I will greatly appreciate it..

Meg from South Holland, Netherlands

Attached Images

collectorsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:17 AM   #37

Hello, I take 1000's of Macro photos a year, for my online vintage advertisng business, (mostly old keychains, metal pins,coasters etc).

I am searching for a camera that can serve well those needs, but also that has more flexible cababilities.. ex. for detailed complimentary shots for my larger vintage enamel signs, antiques,etc.

I need very detailed photos, without having too sharp an image, (which scares me from the Cannon..) something that won't pick up &magnify the tiny imperfections from myvintage items,that are barely or notnoticable when veiwing the item in hand, with the naked eye.

I am seriously looking at the Kodak P850 or P880, also am researching the Cannon S2 & the FujiFilm, & small Sony, which also apparantly specialize in Macros.

My problem is, that I really like Kodak colors,and theirhistoric reputaion, Iwant to upgrade from the more limited, compact digicams, & want the camera to grow with me.

I have had much success for 3 yrs,with my cheap (don't laugh..) Kodak DC 3800. (Still working the same now,as theday I bought it..)

Although my DC3800has many bad reviews over Macros& any pics taken in indoor light situations are horrible. But, If I can get my subject outdoors in sunlight I haveacheive phenominal results just with auto settings.

(I have included an example below,from myold kodak DC3800, of the back vintage paper label, of a tiny (about 1-1/4" by 1/2") Kleenex tissue box keychain. Photo was taken about 7-12" away from subject.

I have many more examples in my online store, (on the most famous worldwide auction website), don't think I can mention their name here.. but seller name is: Collectorsnest if you want to see them.

Unfortunately, We rarely have good sun in Holland so I have to race outside every moment the sun does break through a cloud to take my inventory photos.

Does the P850 really not take better quality macros than my old 2 mgpxl Kodak?

Isit in confusion after researching thisfor 2 months..

I don't want to purchase another camera until this future purchase literally falls apart, and I hope that will be at least another 4 or 5 years.

I am not a camera whiz.. and am still learning terms, abbreviations,and what the manual settings will do. (But I am learning

Please anyone who can help me make this important purchase decision, I will greatly appreciate it..

Meg from South Holland, Netherlands

Attached Images

collectorsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:18 PM   #38

Just a bit of my experience. Yes, the P-850 will take Macro or close-up photos.You cannot get as close with the P-850 as with some other Kodak cameras such as the V-570, and the set-up for the macro is a bit more complex than the V-570.

Here is a P-850 sample at minimum distance. The Second photo was taken of the same beer coaster with the V-570.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:21 PM   #39

Here is the same beer coaster taken at minimum distance with the Kodak V-570.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:32 PM   #40

Now here is what the Canon S-2 can do at minimum distance with the very same beer coaster.

MT
Attached Images