Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:25 PM   #1

I have had a Kodak P850 for over a month now and have taken 100's of shots. Its produced some very good ones, but my overall success rate seems to be lower than with my old fuji finepix 4700. I'd say maybe only 1 in 15 to 20 comes back nearly perfect with the p850. I'd say the fuji had twice the succes rate and its technically a much inferior camera based soley on specs. I shoot mostly landscape shots on vacations.

My main gripe here is that this camera seems to refuse to focus on macros, even when in manual focus mode. I know the camera is capable of achieving focus because I can see the subject come into and out of focus while adjusting the zoom. Once the focal distance is locked though, everything remains blurry. Macro and Manual focus cannot fix this. Sometimes I am close to the published min macro distance, but many times I am not. I'd say I have to be twice the min distance (20 CM) before this thing can achieve a reliable focus and thats usually to far too get the shot I want. I even bought a set of macro filters, they helped a little, but not much.

The fact that the image will temporarily pass through a focus point when zooming makes me think its a design flaw... possibly related to the poor focus that many have complained about at various focal lengths over at www.dpreview.com.

Anyone else having similar problems? I really wanted to like this camera, but I can't help but feel that I should have bought the Cannon S2.

Chris

cjh633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:30 PM   #2

Hi cjh633,

I'm sorry to hear you have problems with this camera. I shot a few decent closeups with it. I can offer a few suggestions, with apologies if you already tried this and it didn't work for you. I mostly shoot in Manual (M) mode, so the various settings I use may not apply to the Auto mode or the Macro mode from the Scene menu.

I used the Normal focus setting from the focus menu, but I switched from Multi Zone to Center Zone - this tends to work better with closeups.

10 cm is the minimum distance with no zoom - if you zoom in, you need to also increase the distance between the lens and the subject accordingly.

I don't know about macro filters, but if you use macro lens you also need to set the Accessory Lens to ON in the menu.

If you have the Auto Focus set to Single, you may experience a situation in which after zooming the LCD/EVF remains blurred - it happened to me. You either need to press the shutter button halfway to get the camera to focus, or switch to Continuous focus.

I really hope some of the above helps.

Finally, can you post one of those macros with EXIF info so that I can take a look at what's going on?

Good luck,
Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:59 PM   #3

Fava-

I have also shot some close-up samples that worked out very well with the Kodak P-850 and I think that it does a creditable job. See my comparison of the Kodak P-850 with the Fuji S-5200 in the Natural light mode with me (unfortunately) as the subject. I have no qualms about using the Macro Mode on the P-850. It does a pretty nice job.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:07 PM   #4

That is a good comparison Sarah!
It's hard not to prefer the Kodak picture - look at the nice blue color of your eyes in it :-)

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:53 PM   #5

Thanks, Fava! I too personally, think the Kodak image is better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:04 PM   #6

Fava,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I've already tried all of them. I definitely agree that the center or selectable zone is much better than multizone for almost all shots you may take with this camera. As far as posting pics goes... I don't have a sample because the focus was litterally so bad that I never even took the shots.

Speaklightly,

Thanks for the comparison pics. The camera definitely is capable of doing a good job for this type of pic. I'm having trouble when getting in closer. Think of your "typical" flower close-up pics. If you feel like playing around some more try recreating my problem. Try a close-up of something just beyond the min distance of 10CM (4 inches) at wideangle. You may or may not be able to achieve focus. Then just bump the zoom a little and you'll see the image focus on the lcd and then unfocus again. If you switch over to manual focus and run the lens through its entire range you will never get as sharp of a focus as you did while the zoom was moving the lens elements. Normal AF and Macro AF behave the same when depressing the button half way. At least thats what my p850 does. I guess it could be defective.

I'd post some pics but I'm never able to capture the focused image. I really need a camera behind mine to show how crisp the image can get on the lcd before the lens motor comes to rest at a point that will not allow permanent focus. The out of focus images look like having your eyes open under water... its that bad!

If no one else is having this problem, I might try to exchange my p850 for a new one.

-Chris

Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

No thanks, Cjh63! I will be happy to post my own sample photos, and you will notice that I am one of the few regular posters on this forum that do post samples. Come on, all the rest of you, we all learn from examples, please get to posting your photos. It will help us all!

I, personally need to have control of the photo from beginning to end. That is how you achieve a good example photo!I hope you will respect that personal feeling.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:26 PM   #8

Anyone else having similar problems? I really wanted to like this camera, but I can't help but feel that I should have bought the Cannon S2.

Not me, and yes "you" should have bought the S2
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:31 PM   #9

Umm... OK. No problem. I don't want you to do anything you don't feel like doing. I was just curious to see if other p850's had the same issue, or if mine was defective. I wasn't trying to tell you how to be creative with the camerea... and didn't really expect you to post any pics. Just wanted to know if your camera did the same thing as mine under similar circumstances...

Anyone else feel like trying to re-create my problem?

Thanks.

Chris

PS - I have noticed how often you post samples. Its very nice of you.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:44 PM   #10

It would help also if the ones with the complaints would post some examples also. Leave the EXIF data on the photo so we might be able to tell what is going on. I've in the past seen pics posted by individuals with complaints that were taken using the wrong settings and showed up in the EXIF data that they were wrong in the way they thought they were using the settings.

Dawg at work
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote