Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:18 AM   #11

BigDawg-

You have madesome excellent points. The Kodak P-850 has grown on me. At first my qualms revolved around a certain degree of inconsistency. What worked well one time did not seem to always be easily replicated. The P-850 has, like most cameras, a learning curve to it that is somewhat pronounced, if you want to push the P-850 to the limits.

If you just want to take bright sunshine photos in the auto mode, you probably won't have any problems at all. It is when you ask it for more capabilities that the learning curve becomes apparent.

It a huge leap forward for Kodak technically, but in all honesty it is still a step or two behind the competition, in my personal opinion. I hope that we will continue to see better and more competitive digital cameras from Kodak.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:27 AM   #12

Here is a picture I took at night with my DX6490 !!!

I am very happy with the result of night shots of the 6490 . . .

Attached Images

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:55 PM   #13

Boily-

Your night shot is nice. When we began this thread the thrust of this thread was focused more on night cityscapes. Some folks sometime refer to them as night landscapes. For example this photo example was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just stumbled upon. Timing and hitting the exposure right on the nail was everything.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:02 PM   #14

Dawg..............it's a big learing curve to be sure. The more I run the 850 the more I like it. It would be easy to drop it in the bag and leave it. I can get most anything I want from my 7590. To be honest the 7590 served me well and maybe I have over stepped "my" ability in buying the 850. One of the first things I said was if your a point and shooter buy the 6490/7590 it works better in the auto mode. Learn that and the PASM modes will come if you try. But if your buying this 850 and you have no idea how to use it, your going to place the blame on the camera. Me, I blame myself for my shots. I also praise myself when Iget it right. One thing I like about the P850 is it is pushing me to do better.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:57 PM   #15

In short its a tutor camera. Glad to know. It gives me reason to buy but also not to sell my DX 6490.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 4:12 PM   #16

Atindra..................a man with your abilities is going to love this rig. You'll have it down in the matter of a week or more. What I need to do is leave the 7590 in the bag and learn to use the 850. Going back and forth is ok when one wants to compair the two cams, and thats ok. I think if I truly want to learn I need to put the 7590 out of my mind and get to learning.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 4:42 PM   #17

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:

It a huge leap forward for Kodak technically, but in all honesty it is still a step or two behind the competition, in my personal opinion. I hope that we will continue to see better and more competitive digital cameras from Kodak.

Sarah Joyce
Dear Sarah

Wich cams do you see as competition for th P850.

I'm somewhat focussed on that camera to be my next purchaseand see only the s5200 has one advantage( high iso) but the P850 throughs the hotshoe and a faster lens back as well as a hi res evf

H1 and s2 miss the hotshoe as well as raw and Fz20 to stay in the price range has a noisier result and a not so good viewfinder.

It seems you are the one who could give me advice since you have handled nearly all the Ultrazoomers there are so what cam could be the better choice inthe P850's pricerange

Looking forward to read your comment about this.

Maybe I am overlooking something.

Greetings

Nafta

picture my current set; a dx6490 with a Philips P536flashunit on a homemade bracket ( works well as long as it will focus in lowlight)

Attached Images

nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:39 PM   #18

sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
Atindra..................a man with your abilities is going to love this rig. You'll have it down in the matter of a week or more. What I need to do is leave the 7590 in the bag and learn to use the 850. Going back and forth is ok when one wants to compair the two cams, and thats ok. I think if I truly want to learn I need to put the 7590 out of my mind and get to learning.
Thanks for your complements.

I was thinking to go just a bit above DX6490, I am not unhappy with that camera, it has always made me proud among my groups, friends with its superb image quality and easy operation. But on the other hand sometimes I feel, I am a bit saturated with that cam. My wife infact, likes it as now she has much more liberty to use it and she is surprisingly better photographer than me. She is an expert of Automode, but hands are rock steady.

I hope we'll keep DX6490 and will go for buying P850.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:10 PM   #19

Nafta-

I see the Kodak P-850 competing primarily against the Fuji S-5200/S-5600, but you must also factor in the competition of the Sony H-1, the Canon S-2 IS, the KM Z-5/6, and the Panasonic FZ-5. The S-5200/s-5600 will provide sharp competition because of it higher ISO capability and anti blur technology which some buyers will confuse with IS. It is just my personal opinion only but, I feel that the control setup on the Fuji is slightlymore intuitive. Both cameras feel good in hand.

The P-850 has a measurably better EVF than the s-5200/s-5600, and a larger LCD.If you do a lot of low light level shots and night photos you will have to deal with noise and slowness, no mater which camera you choose. The P-850 will handle low light well, but it will be slow to focus, particularly at long zoom settings, so you must be patient when setting up a shot. You will also have to accept some noise at ISO 400 with the P-850. Also hand holding a shot beyond 6X optical zoom becomes problematic with the P-850, so a makeshift tripod, a monopod, or a tripod will come in handy.

The Fuji has a slightly better solution on noise as the ISO settings are increased. Both the P-850 and the S-5200/S-5600 are capable cameras. Kodak Color Science will appeal to some users. The Fuji uses a mode setting called Natural Light that tips the color rendition toward traditional Kodak colors, which is an interesting marketing ploy. However, that Natural Light Mode is essentially a point and shoot mode using auto ISO, with the flash turned off.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:20 PM   #20

Rj, I only take my 7590 out once in awhile now that I decided to perfect the 850. I know its hard to leave old faithful at home but if you want to get the 850 down like the 7590 that's what you're gonna have to do.
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote