Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:23 PM   #1

Well, first topic!!!

Forgive my worst than bad english, but i really need some help choosing my €500 ( max) camera. I´ve been reading a lot about cameras, specially about the models of my interest.

My first choice was kodak p850, is specs have all i need, but im affraid of kodak´s night shots, because i´ve tried some in a DX6490, i hated the results, couldn´t focus, very noisy zoom, all light tends to go brown etc...

Then i saw some Canon S2 night shots, and i went crazy!!! Very natural colors super sharp image. But, and there´s always a "but" no RAW support, lcd size not very impressive. ( Video mode very impressive as well)

Fuji 5200, hmm, for what i´ve read, low noise levels even at high isos, but can this feature match a IS found at the 2 previous models? Another BUT is size, altough, i prefer good image quality over weight or size.

Finally, i´m looking foward to the new olympus model SP500 UZ, why?
i will tell u why. Because its very compact, good zoom 10x, RAW support, and i suppose from what ive seen in previous models night shots are GREAT!! Cons. memory type( xd) and no IS,low res video mode.

I keep talking about night shots because from what ive read, they are the hardest to acchive.

Now, i hope to have some feedback from all of you, because i just know i know nothing.

(night shots opinion based on this link samples)
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7590-review
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...z_770uz-review
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...x_s5100-review
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...shot_s2-review

My favourite night shots: Olympus

gnostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

gnostik-

Night shots are really not that difficult, and the Kodak P-850 is very adept at night photos, even using the purely automatic mode. So please do not shy away from night photos. Any more examples of night photos, please post them. If there is enough interest, perhaps we can do a night photo seminar. Anyone interested?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:29 PM   #3

The P850 is not the 6490/7590. Not evan close.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:46 PM   #4

Whut chu mmene RJ!!!!!

Dawg at work
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:55 PM   #5

Great night shot Sarah! Was it taken with the P850?

The seminar seems like an interesting idea. Unfortunately I leave tomorrow for a 3 week business trip - I don't think I'll be able to read/post on the forum during this time.

Until then, I wish you all the best :-).

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6

Not a problem, Fava-

There does not seem to be much interest as yet, so we will just wait for a bit. I would like you to take part in a night seminar. You are certainly up to it.

I am leaving to do a 3 week workshop in the Caribbean as well, so not to worry.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:11 PM   #7

The P850 is a much better rig for low light and night shots.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:18 AM   #8

More MP's and a newer sensor not to mention all the things I'm not aware of SHOULD make it better. You RJ are in a lot better position than most to say yes or no in this argument. I believe you are right and wonder sometimes why some folks are bad mouthing this camera?? Are they just too lazy to learn it or is it the fact that there is no one site that will step by step walk folks through the intricasies of this newer technology. This camera will do everything the 6490-7590 cameras could do but do it better. It's just going to take longer to get in a comfort zone with it for some folks. They wanted a point and shoot always in auto camera and went out and bought a Performance camera instead. A camera that has twenty times the features than what they will use. If they are going to become accomplished in it's use then they will have to have patience and some advice from the more experienced of the owners, as the reviewers don't seem interested in it right now!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:49 AM   #9

Amen, Dawg Amen!
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:01 AM   #10

ok ok I'll be a ginny pig buy me a p850 please please. ah heck I can't even get a good shot out of this 6490. operater error (LOL)
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote