Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

Hi!

I just tried to upload a manipulated firmware to my Kodak V550, however, it turned out to have been a major mistake: The camera doesn´t work any more! What happened was the following:

The Kodak V550 has got a way too high image compression. So I downloaded the firmware and changed the jpeg-quantization-table. First I replaced some values with similar ones (replaced all 63-numbers in the table with 61s) and it worked fine: the image quality had improved, the compression was less aggressive, but still too aggressive for me. So I tried it again, changed the values to less than 12, which means that I copied a Fuji FinePix F10-quantization-table into the firmware. The upload went fine, but when I turned on my camera again to activate the firmware, the lights were flashing for a few seconds and the camera turned itself off again. Nothing works, I can´t connect the camera to my computer, I can´t access any menu, the screen remains black, so there´s nothing I can think of to do any more... but I think that there must be some way to reset the cameras "BIOS", no? I just don't have no idea how to do it. the camera doesn't have a reset-button, so can anyone help me?

thanx alot!
Iosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2

I know nothing about firmware hacking, esp when the CPU instruction set of the v550 is unknown to me.

My suggestions:

1. Re-flash using card-reader instead of direct DC-USB (if you haven't don't so).

2. Return it to Kodak as though nothing you've done to it.

BTW pls advise me how to hack the JPEG compression. I may try someday when my v550 is about to retire.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3

hacking the firmware is quite easy. However, I was told by Kodak that I had to go to a Kodak store and have it repaired, so you just don´t have got enough tries to try it out. This means, you only have one try to make it right, so it´s unlikely that you will.

I was looking in the firmware for the jpeg-quantization-table and changed it. you can see more about this on
http://text.broadbandreports.com/for...5880~mode=flat

I located it in my firmware by looking for a series of c-letters.
In the Hex-editor, it´s the value "63".
First, I changed all (at least I think all) Cs into As, which means into the value 61, and this worked, however, the jpeg-file was just a little bigger.
Then I entered much lower values, and this destroyed it.

The only thing you have to do in order to make the camera accept the modified firmware, is to change the file attributes. Download a file attributes changer, and then enter the values (creation date etc.) of the original firmware file.
Iosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:56 PM   #4

You could always ask kodak for guidance, tell them you want to upgrade another camera, but want to know the emergency procedure if power failed during a flash, and it was only half upgraded, you could say the other camera has a bad battery and you keep getting power dips in your area, so need to know in advance that if it fails during a flash you can restore and reflash without having to send the camera back.

They probably wont help, but a good, honest, company that cares more than a ounce about there customers should have no problem telling you.

After all, this could happen during a flash, and you have the right to know if it would kill the camera, and if it does, then you should be told a way round it without having to shell out to send the camera back......

I would want to know that info before I considered flashing a camera, in case of a bad flash (which could happen for many, many reasons)
kensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5

After you hacked the jpeg parameters, what are the average filesize (for 5MP, high sharpness)?

My regular filesize are around 1.1MB average for indoor portraits, and near 2MB for forest or buildings with very complicated textures.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote