Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1

In the last 6 months I have owned 3 different digital cameras, all Kodak.
I went with Kodak because of the ease of use, the SD card capability, and the dock.
Models used were CX6445, Z740, DX7440.

After being incredibly pleased with the photos taken with my first Kodak, the CX6445, I made a decision to upgrade to a higher model. Therefore, I sold thefirst andgot the newer Kodak Z740 (for $300).

Well the Z740 was quite a dissapointment. After using it for only a couple of weeks I found that a large number of photos taken with the zoom over 6x were BLURRY!. I did everything to find a solution (seems a tripod is the only one that works). Modified the focus settings, the shutter speeds, ect, and even called Kodak for help. It soon became apparant that the lack of something called "image stabilization" is what made the camera a less than optimal device.

So I returned the Z740 and went with the Kodak DX 7440. I figured why pay $300 for a larger high zoom camera if it is not going to take good pictures. The DX7440 was lower zoom and lower megapixel, but it was also more compact and allowed to take it whereever. I found the photo quality to be better too. Something about the AF assist lampthat maymakeadifference.

Soon after getting the DX 7440, I found details of the P850 at Kodak's site. I was excited by the introduction of a high zoom Kodak camera that has Image Stabilization and a flash connector, along with other things. Sure there was the Canon IS and the Sony H1, but I wanted to use an SD card since I already own 4 of them. (not to mention the Kodak dock I already have too).

So I researched the web, and read many reviews (epinions, dcresource, ect) about this camera. Pretty much all I've read said the P850 is quite a nice unit.I dont recall reading much bad about it.

So I ordered a new P850 online for a deal of $365. (not bad considering it is retailing for $499 everywhere)

It would be a week before it was delivered. In the meantime, there was much anticipationaboutthe possibilities of this product. Since many on the forums talked about how they tested it at Best Buy, I decided to go there myself and do the same.

And now I wish that I would have went to Best Buy BEFORE it was ordered.

Here is what happened:

When I first got to the store there was not a rep around and the Kodak P850 was on display butwould'nt power up (battery was dead). Sitting right next to it was the Sony H1 model, and itwas working. So I began taking manyshots with the Sony, of things all over the store. Many of the shots were with FULL ZOOM ON. I found the camera would zoom in lightning fast and focus incredibly fast too. It captured photos very quickly as well.

Eventually the Best Buy rep came around andhooked up theP850 for me to test. I took about 12-15shots around the store, many high zoom. Out of all of these photos about 70% (3 out of 4) of them were BLURRY! I tried both single and continuous Image Stabilization on the camera, and used "auto" mode only.

In addition, tjhe zoom was slow, the focus time was slow, and the LCD got brighter and darker before it 'locked in' the shot. It wasnt quick and fun. Nor was it quality.

Needless to say, I was quite dissapointed.

Another customer wastalking about how he is a pro and trusts Nikon. So next I had the Best Buy rep hook up the Nikon D50 for some shots. Of the 12-15 shots I took with the D50 they were all incredible!! Bright colors, crisp shots, fast focus. I couldnt believe it. And this model doesn't evenhave image stabilization in it.

So $365 for the Kodak P850is already too much money.
I first thought Kodak did something right with the P850. A misconception it seems.
I don't even have it yet and am looking to send it back,

And the going rate for the Nikon D50 is about $800 (withstandardlens).
I did find the Nikon refurbished online for about $600, which may be an option.

And Sony? a nice camera, but would have to buy more memory cards making it as much as an entry SLR.

So what to do now?
Decisions, decisions.....

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

Thats a pretty detailed report you have done and yes I have tried the 850 as well and was not impressed with the 1st impression on this cam, as you said and I find this as well, focus was an issue and so was the zoomingBUT I would like to take this camera home to give it a more fair evaluation because I just Love my DX-7590 but as the old saying goes...everything new is not always better and that is so true.... I went to a local camera shop that deals with high end cameras and an old fella was the owner and was very pleasant and WOW, the pictures he has taken in his lifetime and the magazines his pictures has been published in are quite an accomplishment So I showed him my 7590 and he said hes been shooting pics ever since Moses was a baby and the Kodak gives some of the best Quality color images available today and would in a heartbeat buy one to learn photography if he was just starting but he said the only reason he does not deal with Kodak is it's poor dealer support which in effect is bad for his business in many ways...He then showed some cams that were worth MEGA $$$$ but ended up at the D70 and 50 and he showed me around these cams and he demo'd them for me...this guy knew his Stuff, I've never seen anyone setup a shot as fast as he did and he just lost me, we went outside and said ok I'll take a shot of that car coming over there and he was faster than a point and shoot while setting up his D50 for the shot then he passed it on to me and I couldnt believe this camera... I WAS TOTALLY IMPRESSED and sold on that camera and he could have pushed for a more expensive model but he sat and talked to me about what I like to take pics of and what my experience is etc and he asked did I like the D50 and well YES I DID....told me if I ever buy one that his shop holds classes 3 times a week (FREE) for people who buy digicams at his shop on how to properly use the cams they buy and an explanation of all features of their new cam' ISO .. F-stops...exposure...etc.
Now this fella is about 70 years old and WOW thats what I call customer service and I find myself bringing over a coffee for us both about twice a week toward closing time when it's less busy to just enjoy and learn from this Amazing man....
These kind of shops and services are a rare thing these days, no wonder this guy has a TON of business..
Hope you didnt mind that lil story but the end effect is I am buying a D50 or 70 when the opportunity comes around..

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:46 PM   #3

Techgeek, Sorry you didn't have a good experience with the p850 better luck next time. Wag what a great story those kind of helpful good hearted people are hard to run into, maybe it was your lucky day and itsounds like you even made a new friend.

MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:18 PM   #4

I also had a problem: SD cards, printing dock, an appreciation of Kodak's colors as well as ease of use because of the well-designed menus. My only problem with Kodak is the horrible EasyShare software, which even at version 5.1 seems to be designed and produced by people who have no idea on how to design software for Windows XP.

All said, I took a class on nature photography, soI knew that nothing beats a good SLR (DSLR) formacro shots and for shots where you would like to play with depth of field with a good lens.Now I have three cameras: Casio Exilim ZX-55 (portable, good colors and macro shots); Kodak P850 (good zoom, good colors); and Pentax *ist DS2 (for macro shots and all else when the two cameras listed above do not suffice).

There is no single camera that would be for all seasons - just try to carry the P850 or the Pentax in your shirt pocket.
Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:09 PM   #5

wagaboo
wonderful story!
reassures my faith in the human race.

MrBlue
A minor setback, i havent given up on it yet.

Normanp
strange, I havent had one problem with Easyshare at all. Been working flawlessly on my XP system. Try uninstalling and reinstalling maybe?

I will receive the camera Friday. and will "test" it more, using different shots and settings.. then draw final conclusions and decide if I will be returning it.
Perhaps I willpost somesamples here as well.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:15 PM   #6

I agree with Norman, no onething is perfect.Be it cameras, fishing poles, guns, or even ourselves:-), you always find yourself wishing you had the smaller one, or the bigger one, more zoom, etc,etc. I bet if we were marooned on an island, and could see another in the distance, we would want to be there:-)

Wag, I'm happy you found such a place. I remember when almost everything was sold in small owner-run shops and I sure miss that

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7

please let us know how it turns out. seems some folks love the camera after trying it out for a while. i understand also that using the camera in P mode seems to make a lot of people happy, along with setting the IS on while setting the auto focus on the one time (versus continuous) setting. some like the IS off most of the time. anyway, try different settings--i bet you get one that suits your needs....

p.s.--maybe you want to give the P880 a shot next--the 24mm wide zoom looks really interesting!

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
wagaboo
wonderful story!
reassures my faith in the human race.

MrBlue
A minor setback, i havent given up on it yet.

Normanp
strange, I havent had one problem with Easyshare at all. Been working flawlessly on my XP system. Try uninstalling and reinstalling maybe?

I will receive the camera Friday. and will "test" it more, using different shots and settings.. then draw final conclusions and decide if I will be returning it.
Perhaps I willpost somesamples here as well.
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 8:29 PM   #8

Normanp what problems do you have with easyshare and XP?

Works fine for me, what are you experiencing?
kensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:12 PM   #9

See this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

I was wrong on one count; however, all other points are valid. I received some very good comments from kensplace, who knows a lot about software.
Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:22 PM   #10

Finally received theP850today!

Tested for a few hours, and took about 50 shots, indoor and outdoor.

There is no way I am sending this thing back!!!

So far I have seenfantastic results.
AndIS has performed much better than expected.
It's not perfect, butlooksto be one the best in it's class.

Will be working on a full review to post in the next few days.....

until then....