Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:59 AM   #11

I purchased the FZ5.

I find the Z5's menu system to be far more intuitive than the 850 as well. Both cameras have a wealth of options, but the 850 requires that the user either have a photograpic memory (pardon the pun), or the user's manual, or both. The Z5's options are very logically organized and accessed.

Best of luck!
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:48 PM   #12

Ya, unfortunately as much as I love my dx7630, I think my next camera is going to be a panny FZ30-S. Looks better than the new Kodaks, and the reviews I've seen are better. Altho this won't be til next fall when I have some more money . Anyone have an opinion about this camera?
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:02 PM   #13

What reviews on the P850? After reading this commentary on shutter lag I picked up my P850 walked outdoors and thought I'd try full zoom to see what turned out. Ok full optical zoom pointing all over the neighborhood I could not get mine to take evan a full count to one before the focus was set. So I came inside doors and blinds closed and tryed it with no zoom. Not evan a second to get a focus. So I tryed full optical zoom. Not evan a count to two before the focus was set. Then I went into a dark bedroom closed the door and there is was, just over a count to two before the focus set. This camera is junk and must be returned to the store. I'll not have any of it.

PS: I did the same test with my much loved DX7590 and found it to be a touch slower. I'm guessing all the KODAK moments that camera took are just a dream. The DX7590 is heading to E Bay for a quick sale.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:35 PM   #14

I really wonder when people get the camera and it dont perform as per expectation why dont they try and swap it for another model of same camera? There can be some problems on the first batch shipment. As Rj, Darlene (a regular poster on dpreview) and few more had reported that their P850 was faulty but the replacement was fantastic.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:36 PM   #15

I really wonder when people get the camera and it doesnt perform as per expectation why dont they try and swap it for another model of same camera? There can be some problems on the first batch shipment. As Rj, Darlene (a regular poster on dpreview) and few more had reported that their P850 was faulty but the replacement was fantastic.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:56 PM   #16

When I first got my P850 I took some test pics outside a moving car (i was passenger). Bear in mind, the car was moving down the road, so IF it did NOT take the shot right away, then it would have been lost, since I was going PAST the shot.

The results were sharp images, and the subjectscaptured QUICKLY. Granted, it took a second or 2 to "SETUP" the shot, but when the button was pressed, it was nailed!!

In the P850, as well as other digital cams, it helps to press the shutter button PARTLY down to setup the shot, and then press ALL THE WAY DOWN to take it.

If you ONLY press it all the way down from the start, you will get negative results (since it has no time to setup the shot), This is not shutter lag, andthere always be aDELAY in the shot when that is done.

Note the differences forreference...

Shutter lag is..

The time it takes between when the button is pressed down (to capture)and when the actual image is captured.

Shutter lag is NOT..

The time it takes from holding the button down (without setting up a shot), in addition totime to focusandcalulate lighting, and THEN pressing it down and getting the shot.
-------------------------

The Kodak P850 does not have the fastest auto focus and white balance.
But actual shutter lag is not below average at all.

SAMPLES
(taking while going 45 mph in a car, daylight, auto mode, with zoom).

Attached Images

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:58 PM   #17

another sample shot.

Out of carmoving past this building, and the P850 captured the shot RIGHT AFTER the button was pressed. NO DELAY.

Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:02 PM   #18

Quote:
What reviews on the P850? After reading this commentary on shutter lag I picked up my P850 walked outdoors and thought I'd try full zoom to see what turned out. Ok full optical zoom pointing all over the neighborhood I could not get mine to take evan a full count to one before the focus was set. So I came inside doors and blinds closed and tryed it with no zoom. Not evan a second to get a focus. So I tryed full optical zoom. Not evan a count to two before the focus was set. Then I went into a dark bedroom closed the door and there is was, just over a count to two before the focus set. This camera is junk and must be returned to the store. I'll not have any of it.

*PS: I did the same test with my much loved DX7590 and found it to be a touch slower. I'm guessing all the KODAK moments that camera took are just a dream. The DX7590 is heading to E Bay for a quick sale.
Mine was an honest, albeit unfavorable assessment about the 850 that I have in my possession, and I'm just an avid digicam user, not affiliated with any digicam manufacturer.
Mine was an honest, albeit unfavorable assessment about the 850 that I have in my possession, not anyone else's, and I'm just an avid digicam user, not affiliated with any digicam manufacturer.

I loved my Koday 6490! It had better focus-to-shot speed, and consistantly provided sharper, properly exposed images! I'm sorry to say that it went on ebay to make room for the 850.

The first words that come to mind when I see such a defensive, sarcastic and blatently unsympathetic response on an otherwise anonomous forum like this is... "paid shill."

But, I'm sure that's just me.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:11 PM   #19

Seems to me that anyone who states the P850 isjunk and wanting to sell it on ebay are either:

A) unexperienced and do not understand how to use a camera
B) working for another camera manufacture
C) got a defective unit

pick one.

Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:22 PM   #20

techgeek419,
I appreciate your posts. The shots do look slightly soft, however, particularly the 7-11 sign. Nice Kodak color though!

I'm familiar with how to first perform focus and then capture with an auto focus camera. I haven't made the mistake of trying to do both at once since I owned my first auto focus SLR back in about '78. I think that it was a Contax.

Now, that was slow!

EDIT: Didn't see your last post before I posted the above. Could be C, although I confirmed similar operation on floor models at both BB and CC. Definitely not A or B. And, for the record, I never called the 850 "junk." I think what I said was that it was dissapointing to me, or something along those lines.