Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:50 AM   #1

I want to buy a digicam. There are two favourites: the Panny fz5 and the Kodak P850.
Both cameras have IS and a rather good image-quality.

I have two questions to an owner of the P850:

1) What's about noise?
2) I've read that the P850 shoud have a shutter-lag of about two seconds?
Is this right? How is it possible to make snapshots with such a camera?

I'ld be glad to get infos from you.

Regards Peter
pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:45 PM   #2

In my experiences with the P850, theshutter lag was NOT unreasonably slow. You press the button and the photo is captured (2 seconds does appear extreme).

Once I took someshots out of a moving car (while apassenger of course), and it got them quickly.

However, anotherthing worth noting, the lag is somewhat slower when using a flash, compared to without one (seems common in digital cams).

If youre looking for quick shots, another consideration (whencomparing)is the degree of time it takes for a camera to FOCUS on the subject BEFORE a shot is taken. The time to focus a shot on the P850 varies by how much zoom is used. I'm notsure how that compares to others.

Also,the Panny has NO hot shoe, if that makes a difference.

http://www.epinions.com/Panasonic_Lu...ay_~full_specs

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:22 AM   #3

techgeek419:

Thank you so much for your prompt answer.

I can only quote the opinion of an user:

"However, the lag time between when you press the button and when the picture actually takes is very bad. I will most likely take it back because the lag is a little over 2 seconds, and that simply isn't competitive with other cameras on the market."

You can read this on the following link:
http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b...13/124901.html

Regards peter
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:16 PM   #4

Whoever posted that, I can only assume they were trying to focus in a very difficult situation. In very low light and when at full 12x zoom, the camera will have the most difficult time focusing. This is not uncommon on these types of camera's.

In good lighting or when not zoomed in, the P850 should focus much quicker than 2 seconds. In fact, I would guess it's less than 1 second on average.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:52 PM   #5

I agree withswgod. That person is mostly likely experiencing shot delays as a result of trying to focus ina low light or high zoom situation. (not uncommon).

Before you decide not to buy one, visit your local camera shop and test it out for yourself. You will find the shutter lag is not below average at all.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:53 PM   #6

* moderator please delete this message *
(it double posted)
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:21 PM   #7

Thanks for your answers.

The problem is that the Kodak-cameras are relatively rare on the German market (Kodak seems to step forwards on this market). I want to order the camera on Internet
and I'ld like to have some infos before getting it.

Regards Peter
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:07 PM   #8

yes there are not many reviews at this time since the model is so new.
(Epinions doesnt even have one).

This forum has some great info on the P850 so look around.

here are a few links:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=18&page=1

http://www.digitaladvisor.com/digita...0_reviews.html

http://usuarios.lycos.es/kodakpseries/index.htm

Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:09 PM   #9

In my experience with the P850 (2 months now), Ifind that the shutter lag is greater than any other digicam that I've owned, which is quite disconcerting. I don't know whether it is 2 seconds, but it is generally 1 second or more, except under ideal conditions. The Panny is faster under all conditions, particularly indoors. For fast moving objects, even under ideal conditions, I've experienced pics that are ever so slightly delayed from the image that I was trying to capture. It is extremely difficult to capture that "Kodak moment," and I'm referring to shots with very little or no zoom. Shots of action with more zoom are virtually impossible.

The Panasonic will not only focus and capture faster under all conditions, but its focus is far more accurate as well.Virtually allof the images I've captured with the 850 have been softly focused when compared to the same pictures from the Panasonic.

I should mention that I purchased the Panasonic 3 weeks ago, and have been comparing identical mages, capturedunder virtually identical conditions, and printed from the same Kodak printer dock. I simplywasn't satisfied withwith the 850's clumsy, sluggishoperation, and mediocre picture quality (compared to my old 6490). I feel like I gave the 850 the benefit of the doubt (unfortunately, well beyond BB's return period). The Panny is a keeper, and the Kodak is going to ebay I'm sorry to say. The picture dock's staying though!
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:54 AM   #10

bubbawilly,

I thank you for your honest answer. The kodak-cameras have always had problems with the shutter lag and the autofocus. Why this should have changed with the p-series?!

I want(ed?) to buy the p850 but this speaks against buying this camera, of course.

What kind of panny have you bought?

Regards peter