Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:01 AM   #1

Hi,

I intend to buy a p850.
Now I've seen that the dx7590 has gotten very good results in German tests.

Can anybody tell me, whether the p850 is better than the dx7590 (besides the aspect of the image-stabilisation) or vice versa?

I'ld be glad to get some infos from you.

Regards Peter
pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:41 PM   #2

What do you consider better? That the P850 has IS. Maybe that the P850 has a manual focus control. Would better mean that the P850 has a hotshoe for an added flash. Does a larger LCD have anything to do with one being better. One or the other is not a pocket cam, so the fact that the P850 is larger, does that make it better. From what I know the DX7590 comes with a camera dock. The P850 comes with both a 2 second and 10 second timer, does that make it better. One thing for sure, the DX7590 has been dropped from the KODAK lineup replaced by the Z7590 that does not come with a dock, but does have both a 2 & 10 second timer. I do not think you can go wrong with either rig. What options do you want, and whats in your wallet.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:05 PM   #3

IMO, I've tried the 850 and will stick with my 7590, just cuz it's new does not mean it's better !
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4

New neverdid mean better, nor does it mean the opposite. But more options are more options. Your DX7590 is just like mine. Just like mine, it is a great camera. But Pana does not have a DX7590 or anything like it. He is starting with a clean slate. He can now decide what he wants and pay for just that. You may not think the added options are worth the money when you already have many of them in your cam. Many would not upgrade from a DX6490 to a Z7590. I think I would. I also think a P850 or P880 would be a good step up from the DX7590. Ithink the P series cameras will become as loved as the 6590/7590 DX cameras. Pana look at the options you want then get out your wallet and see what your willing to spend. The Z7590 and P850/880 are all nice rigs.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:06 AM   #5

I agreee with Rj-(sw2cam) here, In a month or so, P850 will be of almost same dollars as I bought my DX6490 a year and a half ago. And in same money why not to go for 12X zoom with IS?, why not to have 640X480 movie mode with zooming?, why not to have RAW, TIFF formats, why not to have custom white balance? I find it really a nice feature packed camera and waiting for my hands on it.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:05 AM   #6

Hi,

thank you so much for your answers.

On dpreview I've made a comparison 'side by side' of the two cameras.

I 've seen the following:

With the dx7590 ISO goes up to 800 (for each MP's)
With the p850 ISO goes up to 800, too ( but only for 1,2 MP's).

Is this right?

On the other hand it seems that the p850 is better in every respect.
+ IS

Thanks peter
pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7

Nope, on the DX7590 it does not. 1.8 only. So I'm guessing all the pro reviewers don't know all they think they do.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #8

I'll stick with my 6490 a while longer RJ. It still is doing the job and I can't see that much difference for me! As I said for me! For some one just starting and not owning a camera yet I believe the 850 would be the one to go for. Lot more time before it goes obsolete!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:21 PM   #9

I agree with you Dawg, no way will I give up my Dx7590s, all this talk about features is fine if your going to use them.

eg RAW, I convert to TIFF, edit and save the final image in JPEG

2sec self timer, gee I dont have a rocket up my backside so I cant get in the picture that quick.

IS, when I get to the stage that I cant hold my camera steady I will do one of two things, use my tripod or get out of photography and take up stamp collecting.

I am from the old school that used to use our brains, not have everything done for us.

Oh well that my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Dave

Downunder

DX7590 X 2 ---- Z730.
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:21 PM   #10

I agree with you Dawg, no way will I give up my Dx7590s, all this talk about features is fine if your going to use them.

eg RAW, I convert to TIFF, edit and save the final image in JPEG

2sec self timer, gee I dont have a rocket up my backside so I cant get in the picture that quick.

IS, when I get to the stage that I cant hold my camera steady I will do one of two things, use my tripod or get out of photography and take up stamp collecting.

I am from the old school that used to use our brains, not have everything done for us.

Oh well that my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Dave

Downunder

DX7590 X 2 ---- Z730.
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote