Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:56 PM   #11

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Kenny I use the Cokin A-series filter all the time on my DX6490 and have not had any issues as far as focus or auto exposure goes!May be a problem with someone elses camera but no problem here! Then again the 6490 may be made slightly different!
I was just explaining what the add-on lens setting did as was explained to me by Mike from Kodak. Some of the bigger wide angle lens block the AF sensors and cause the camera to focus incorrectly. If the focus works fine with the lens/filter you're using great. If you have focus problems on the P850 then give this setting a try.

I completely agree with your post. With the exception of the Cokin filters which I bought back in my 35mm days I ussually buy the cheap filters.

As far as lens I made the mistake of buying cheap telephoto for my old Sony and was disappointed. For the DX6490 as well as the P850 the Kodak 1.4x and the Oly 1.7x are both good choices. This issue has been discussed in length over on the dPreview Kodak forum. A user there has both of these lens and a cheap version and you could tell the difference. The cheap lens wasn't nearly as clear as the Kodak and Oly lenses.

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:04 PM   #12

You are probably right on all counts. Still love my Cokins though. LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:34 PM   #13

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I hope I've made this clearer than a mudpie anyway. LOL Send all complaints to The Techmo.

Dawg
oh i see how it is..
all the complaints??

thanks for clearing things up
sleeping at night will be so much easier

dawg, how about a new thread on your filters, maybe?
likephotos of the actual filters, photos taken using them (and without too)
their intended use (scenes), average prices,places toget.,, ect ect
if so, I promise not to complain (to myself)

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:45 PM   #14

Oh yes, please! That would be so helpful.
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:14 PM   #15

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
You are probably right on all counts. Still love my Cokins though. LOL

Dawg
I agree, I would never part with my Cokins.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:26 PM   #16

I did something like that in an earlier post or two. Give me time and I'll round them up for you!

Dawg
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:39 PM   #17

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
how about a new thread on your filters, maybe?
likephotos of the actual filters, photos taken using them (and without too)
their intended use (scenes), average prices,places toget.,, ect ect
if so, I promise not to complain (to myself)
I don't have any examples handy, but here are a few of the filters, filter holder, storage box. From left to right, top to bottom they are graduated blue, sunset, polarizer, star, storage box, filter holder w/ring, fog, diffuser, lid for box, and lens cap. I have more filters, but most of them are easier to do in software or are needed because white balance does better.

The graduated blue is good for landscapes to darker the sky a bit to get a better exposure on the trees etc.

The graduated sun set filter simulates a sunset.

The polarizer is great for cutting the glare from reflective surfaces such as water or cars.

The star filter give a star effect when shooting lights or candles.

The fog and diffuser filters are self exclamitory. I also have a blue filter with I used with the 35mm when shooting daylight film under tungstun lights, etc., which aren't needed since the AWB in the camera does this for me.
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:20 AM   #18

Here are a couple of links to previous posts. They show the results of different photos and the set up I bought and hope to add to soon.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Go here to learn more about Cokin Filters.

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/theguide.htm

I have several filters and here they are and here is what they can do.

1. I have a Tiffen Brand Skylite 1-A filter that is like a UV filter as well as filtering out some blues that might and sometimes are objectionable. This one stays on the adapter tube almost all the time.

2. I also have Tiffen Polorizing filter that's good to cut through reflections and intensify colors. Really works good on clouds and sky as well as water shots.

3. I have a cokin Polorizing filter as well that I use when I have the Cokin filter holder mounted.

4. I have a 120 Gradual Gray Cokin Filter that I use with the polorizing filter on landscapes to intensify the clouds and sky in a photo.

5. I have a 121 Gradual Gray Cokin filter that is the same as above but a shade darker.

6 I have a sunset filter that can give you a sunset in the middle of the day or intensify the red or reddish orange of fall colors. Works great on sunrises too!

7. I have a Graduated Tobacco filter that can help darken up water shots or the floor of a forrest. This one is trickier to figure out when to use it but it does work great when properly used!

I'm going to get more as soon as I get my cancer treatments out of the way and can depend on working a regular schedual! Have fun and happy shooting!

Dawg
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:37 AM   #19

Thank you very much for all your help!
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:38 AM   #20

Here is a shot of what the Cokin system looks like with it mounted on the DX6490.

Dawg
Attached Images