Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:20 PM   #1

I looked for specific info on these in other threads, but didnt see anythingso I am posting here. If I missed something please link me. :-)

Recently I boughttheP850, then got some filters (UV, Polarizer) along with the 55mm adapter ring, and alsothe TCON 1.7X.
(thanks to those for the recommendations).

Now a few otherquestions arise (it never ends does it?)

1) Can I now used a different lens cap?

The adapter ring and UV filter is left on at all times (mostly to protect the lens)
The original Kodak one is plastic (spring loaded mechanism) and seems to pop off alot. A better fitting rubber cap would be nice.

Will any 55mm lens cap work? (excuse me if this question is stupid)
Where to get and how much can I expect to pay? are they all similiar quality?

next question

2)Should thecamera settings be changedto "addon lens"when used with the TCON? I forgot to change it at first, then did it later and didnt see much difference in the photos.

finally..

3) The lens hood accessory (aftermarket) looks interesting.
What exactly does it do? Where to buy and how about how much?

hey thanks to the great pros who have helped me get this far.
I'm anxiously anticipating replies on this.

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:03 PM   #2

I bought my lens cap(a plastic spring type) from Wolf photo at a mall for $4.95 and tax. Any 55mm lens cap should work. the rubber ones are nice but I've grown used to the spring type on the filters. The TCON comes with a rubber one and I have my own troubles with it! I don't have that feature (Accessory lens setting) on my camera (DX6490) and have never had to use it! Ask Dan or RJ to help there! The lens hood can help get some photo's if you are shooting back towards the sun or in a sports stadium under the lights. It is nothing more than the bib on a ball cap and will show up on the photo if you are not zoomed out far enough!
I have them for the round filters and one for my cokin filters! I use them a lot as the landscapes I love to shoot are towards the sun more than I would prefer!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3

I wonder, I saw some auctions with "off brand" (not Kodak) filters and lenses. It included the P850 adapter and where listed as P850 items. Should I go that route in the near future? It seems a lot chaper but I am completely new at this and want to avoid as many $ errors as possible. If Kodak is the only way to go then so be it.
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

The Kodak adapter will give no problems. The after market no-name brands aren't as sure! The difference in cost is there for a reason on these. If you are willing to go through trial and error to find some good off brand lens and adapters go at it. But it could be more expensive than just getting the brand names and take a while. Not worth the head aches to me!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:54 PM   #5

Completely makes sense.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:38 PM   #6

bigdawg is right, you get what you pay for.
darknite87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:02 PM   #7

very crafty 2 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder, I saw some auctions with "off brand" (not Kodak) filters and lenses. It included the P850 adapter and where listed as P850 items. Should I go that route in the near future? It seems a lot chaper but I am completely new at this and want to avoid as many $ errors as possible. If Kodak is the only way to go then so be it.
I bought afilter pack at an auction site that included non-kodak filters, and the P850 adapter.

NOTE, the difference is the "filters" are off brand, NOT the adapter.
The adapter I received was an official Kodak adapter, and I have not seen any off brand manufactures of that particular part.

As for the filters, the package itself (bundled with the oem adapter) was only $5 more than the adapter itself sells for. So for that price it was a deal on the filter pack.

I don't believe itto betrue that ONLY Kodak makes good lens "filters".
There are many good lens filter manufactures that are of high quality.

As for the adapter, it's probably best to stick with kodaks version.

I believe there was some confusion between the two (adapter/filter).

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #8

techgeek419 wrote:
Quote:
2)Should thecamera settings be changedto "addon lens"when used with the TCON? I forgot to change it at first, then did it later and didnt see much difference in the photos.

According to Kodak this setting turns off the focus sensor on the from of the camera just above the lens. The reason is that some addon lens or filters, such as Cokin filters, partially block the sensor and interfere with focusing.

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:10 AM   #9

Some confusion here. My fault I guess. Get good name brand Lens. Get filters from where ever you want. I still prefer name brand. I did not mean Kodak brand exclusively on the lens and did not mean Kodak filters at all. I myself use the Cokin A-series filter system and Tiffen filters as well. Nothing wrong with a cheap filter if it works. They don't cost that much anyway so your not out a lot if they arn't up to snuff. Lens on the otherhand cost a bit more even the off brand cheapies. Not really worth spending on them as the brand name ones are not that expensive and well tried by lots of people. Kenny I use the Cokin A-series filter all the time on my DX6490 and have not had any issues as far as focus or auto exposure goes!May be a problem with someone elses camera but no problem here! Then again the 6490 may be made slightly different!

Lets review this so there are no misunderstandings again.

1. Buy Name brand well tried lenses.

2. Buy the filters you want. Name brand or otherwise. I use Tiffen because they are cheap but durable. The Cokin system costs a bit to get started but the extra filters don't cost very much.

3. If you don't see much difference in the focus when off of Auxilliary lens setting then don't use it or use it as it won't matter!

I hope I've made this clearer than a mudpie anyway. LOL Send all complaints to The Techmo.

Dawg
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:40 PM   #10

Thanks a lot for all your help!