Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:50 AM   #11

I started to say a young Rodney Dangerfield> LOLOLOLOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:12 AM   #12

Back off Kenny Rogers... AKA ( The Silver Fox)...lol:lol:
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:28 AM   #13

All right already!!! I'm laying my mouth down on the ground and walking away!! Just don't shoot !!! LOL

Dawg
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:23 PM   #14

Greetings Wagaboo,

Welcome back to the forum, I have been away from it for a long time and was never a big poster. I will be trying to share more.

Depth of field means what is going to be in focus based on the lens and shutter settings. The other main setting is the ISO or how sensitive your camera will judge the light it is going to receive.

It is really the aperture that is most important in this scenario as the larger the F/Stop (smaller the aperture) is what adds more depth of field to the image. So, where you focus on the subject is going to be key as well. If you are concerned about getting a good shot of a person and are going to use a long lens to do it, remember that as you zoom the lens (optical) the aperture is going to get 'smaller.' This is a function of a zoom lens and generally cannot be avoided. If you are at a high zoom, make sure you have a steady stance, and use the center weighted metering so the exposure is as good as possible based on your composition. Experiment with someone to get a feel for that situation.

Other considerations many make is when taking wide panoramas to use the right setting. Kodak has taken the guess work out of that scenario and has a setting on the camera specifically for landscapes. It presets the camera for the best setting. There are many of these, so review the manual to understand what they offer so you can click one in for a given situation.

Still, there are other scenes you might want to think about for depth of field, i.e. if you want to focus on a subject in the scene but keep the background sharp as well. Small aperture there is important.

Sporting events where you want to capture the speed of a car passing by. Using a slow shutter speed and small apeture while panning (moving with the car) will get some good shots there.

As you go through your experimentation, Wagaboo, and have a question, let me know. I will be around.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:05 PM   #15

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
Back off Kenny Rogers... AKA ( The Silver Fox)...lol:lol:

come on Kenny...sing us a song, LOL.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:17 PM   #16

I know when to fold 'em!

Dawg
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:15 PM   #17

Welcome back, Ronbaird, good to see you here.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote