Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:08 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a last question before buying the P850 definitely.

Is there any problem by the missing AF-assist-lamp when you shoot low light pictures?

I 'ld be happy to get some answers from you.

Regards peter
pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:29 AM   #2

not at all

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3

I don't have one have never used one so I don't miss having one! Seem to get decent shots anyway! Maybe a useful Item but having no experience with one I can't tell!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:03 PM   #4

pana2005 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have a last question before buying the P850 definitely.

Is there any problem by the missing AF-assist-lamp when you shoot low light pictures?

I 'ld be happy to get some answers from you.

Regards peter
I found the results to be different than the other two posters, and more in line with the results in the DC Resource review. Low light focus is poor/slow, and images tend to be much softer than normal light images. An AF assist lamp may have helped. My 6490 (with AF assist) did a better job than the P850.

YMMV.
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:28 PM   #5

I have 6490 and doesnt have AF assist lamp-how does your 6490 has? did you make a special camera for yourself? P850s low light focus supposed to be better than DX7590 (so it makes it better than 6490 automatically) and test was shown by Simon (Sredd) on dpreview forum.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:43 PM   #6

My DX6490 will gain up in PASM modes and allow you to see in Black and White what you are aiming at. It has no low light asisst lamp but I've not found that I miss one as I've never had one! Still seem to get good photo's!

Dawg
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:54 AM   #7

I had the z740 and that modelcam HAS the AF assist lamp.
It wassent it back in exchange forthe P850.
I don't miss it, really.

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:26 PM   #8

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
I have 6490 and doesnt have AF assist lamp-how does your 6490 has? did you make a special camera for yourself? P850s low light focus supposed to be better than DX7590 (so it makes it better than 6490 automatically) and test was shown by Simon (Sredd) on dpreview forum.

Atindra
Ooops! You're right. I figured that the 6490 had an AF assist since its low light focus was better than the P850, in my experience.

Don't assume that succeeding models perform better in all respects than previous versions. The 6490 review on this site praises the 6490's low light performance as being "remarkably effective." The same reviewer found the 7590 and 850 "fairly effective." How that's a glowing endorsement over the 6490 is lost on me.

The dcresource review also found the 850 to have "poor low light focusing ability," since you like to cite tests.

Though I use reviews and user opinions as a guide, my comments regarding the 850 were based on my own experience. In this case it just so happens that the dcresource review found the same faults with picture focus that I did, that being frequent "fuzzy" images and poor low light focus.

However, like I said, YMMV.
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:49 PM   #9

I'm still lurking and trying to decide... The Z740 and P850 are on my list along with the 7590 and others... What did you not like about the Z740?

I am still in the middle of the rechargable AA and proprietary batteries. One reviewer
is definitely pro Quick Charge AA over Propriety batteries because of quickness to recharge and cost.

A piece of info: Beach Camera sells the DX7590 and the Z7590.. I couldn't find the Z7590 in Steves reviews. Apparently the only difference is the Z7590 has the new dock connector and support for the IMAGELINK system.

Cuzin Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:11 AM   #10

I believe the Z has a Retinar lens and the DX the Schnieder lens!

Dawg