Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:38 AM   #1

I have a p850 and I'm going to be in the city the next few nights for the Christmas tree ceremony etc. and I've never taken pics at night, yet. Are there any specific type of settings that are normally used? Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.
darknite87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Keep the ISO at no higher than 200 to keep the noise down. Use a tripod and use either manual settings or shutter priority settings! When useing manual settings you can set the shutter for long exposures and get those low light shots with out as much noise. Try adjusting the EV up and down until you get the shot right! Just some Ideas! Others may do it differently but this seems to work for me. Be happy to see those shots. Don't be afraid to experiment and move around the PASM modes as much as you like. Remember there is no processing cost. Shoot and shoot some more and have some fun with it!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice Dawg
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:31 PM   #4

I just thought of another question. Would I have to use my flash in these situations where I'm taking pictures into christmas lights?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:20 PM   #5

Depends on what your shooting. If your shooting people, then yes use the flash. If your shooting the lights, then I'd use a tripod and no flash. Experiment with shutter speeds to get the best effect. The picture below was shot with my old Sony using a 1 second shutter speed.
Attached Images

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:32 PM   #6

The little "peanut" flash on point and shoot cameras are for close range up to small groups of 3 - 5 people. The will never light a big room or the Rockerfeller x-mas tree. Be prepared for darker backgrounds as the little amount of light from the little flash begins to fall off in power ( background does not get much of the flash and looks under exposed and close to black). The flash also has little out put from left to right or top to bottom (this pictures may often look darker around the perimiter).

Go to T.G.I.F. for a Jack Daniels lemon ade and some pecan pie

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:06 PM   #7

No need of he flash as it will not help a whole lot!! Need to play with the shutter speed and the EV setting. If the lights are very bright you may even get some good shots in auto! Have fun and Play with it. !!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:39 PM   #8

Dawg gave some great advice. Shoot Shoot Shoot and when you think you've shot enough do it all over again. Go out every day and every night and just shoot anything. It does not matter what the subject is. View each picture and the onboard camera EXIF. You will soon see a pattern and you will learn from it.
Good Luck. Waiting to see some of those ceremony shots.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote