Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:33 PM   #11

Hi Dawg, my Son has my DX6490, it is fine, no problems with the Mode dial, I gave my DX6340 to my Daughter a while back, she asked me to take a picture with it the other night, I was surprised how stiff the Mode dial had gone on it, I put it down to general wear and tare, I think Kodak knew about this problem that is why the fitted a seperate on/off switch to the DX7590.

Six months after I got my DX6490 I had to send it back to Kodak for repair, I zoomed out all the way so I could photograph an Island out at sea, the lens refused to go back in, the setup that Kodak and Olympus use is a strange one, even when new the lens assy wobbles around inside the camera body, I have my doubts about the life span of something with so much freeplay in it.

These things are not built like the old clunkers of yesteryear, for what they are they do a great job, I think if you get 2 - 3 years out of them you are doing OK.

Regards

Dave

Downunder.

OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:55 PM   #12

Dave I'm going to see tonight if a little WD-40 will help or not. The camera is not even one year old so that is why it upsets me so. Given I've taken nearly 7000 photo's. But still I expected more. It may only be a small easily fixed problem but at this point that hasn't been determined!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:31 AM   #13

Sorry Dawg the disposable camera business did not get going for me, my Wife got sick and went to hospital, after that I completely forgot about it, would be happy to do it now if you like to tee things up with Paul.

Regards

Dave

Downunder.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:36 AM   #14

Hi Dawg, like you I have thousands of pictures, I set this thing up because I hope to get away on a 3 month holiday in 7 weeks time and need to post a few pics for family, friends and forum members to take a peek at, I just started it off with 2 albums and will only post new pics to it in the future.

If you need any help to set something like this up just give us a yell.

Regards

Dave

Downunder.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:59 AM   #15
A3D

Great photos, Dave.

Victoria sounds like an especially beautiful place as your photos show.

I was a little startled about your comment, "These things are not built like the old clunkers of yesteryear, for what they are they do a great job, I think if you get 2 - 3 years out of them you are doing OK."

Does that lifespan seem about right? I would be interested to know about some of the other member's experiences with Kodak's repair/replacement services. My 6490 has performed flawlessly so far for the last 6 months, but that mode dial is getting a bit sticky.

Any "home remedies" for that and any other minor problems with the DX6490 or the Z-series models?

A3D

A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:06 AM   #16

Hi A3D, One example of how long a digital camera will last is an LS633, just out of 1 yrs warranty, no spare part available, only fit for the rubbish bin.

As Dawg has said his DX6490 has a stiff mode selector, this I believe is because of wear, Kodak reps have told us that they cannot keep spare parts for their cameras, they realy only keep them in stock for a short while, to many models.

If 35mm cameras made over the last 10 years are anything to go by I would say 2 -3 years of life for a digital is a realistic figure.

I worked in the camera trade for quite a few years I can tell you that even award winning cameras like the Samsung ESC1 that was designed by Porsche were breaking down, 18 months after this model was released I had 3 of them in a cupboard, all unable to be repaired.

Pentax FS7, MZ50s, Espio738s, Minolta Dynax 300 and 500 and just about every compact that Pentax and Minolta made were all Lemons, I had about 20 of them in my cupboard, all unable to be repaired.

The last decent camera Pentax made was the K1000, Minolta the X700, Canon the AE1 Program, Olympus the OM1 & 2, many of the autofocus 35mm cameras gave trouble Canon being an exception, even some of the Nikons produced were rubbish, the life expectancy of many of these autofocus SLRs was about 5 years, compacts about 1 - 2 years.

I cant see digitals having much of a life expectancy, most are made in cheap labour countries, the quality is questionable onmost models, some cameras have problems staight out of the box, it seems to be an accepted thing these days that a portion of cameras sold will be dud, easy to exchange yes, doesnt say much for the quality of that make or model though.

I have 4 digitals, mainly because I do a fair amount of touring around Australia and I feel safe with a backup of a backup of a backup camera, sometimes we travel 2,000km from home, a long way to go back and retake pictures if you dont have a usable camera.

Regards

Dave

Downunder.

Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:15 AM   #17
A3D

Dave,

Wow! Being a newbie in the digital arena, that's an eye-opener for me. Anyone else want to weigh in?

A3D
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:07 PM   #18

Fixed the 6490 with a tiny spray of WD-40! Most new tech toys have a certain break down period figured in. I've shot nearly 7000 photo's with the 6490 and expect to have to replace it in a year or so. By then it will seem if not BE obsolete. the improvements in Digicams will have passed it by at that time! I own a Pentax K1000 and can tell just by picking it up the difference in longevity. Why you could crack walnuts with this thing and then still shoot above average photo's! They made it to last. Now-a-days they make them to last until the next upgrade comes along. That's what keeps them in buisness. If digicams were made like the old K1000 the market would dry up in a few years! LOL That's just the times we live in. Not going to change corporate attiiudes here that's for sure! Back to the 6490--the spray of WD-40 made the mode dial easier to turn than it ever was. And the zoom knob returns with a snap. Just something else to keep in the kit I guess!!

Dawg

PS. I've had that k100 for nearly 25 yrs.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:53 PM   #19

Pleased you got your little problem sorted out Dawg, I think a lot of photographers are still sticking with their film cameras and using a good scanner to get them onto the PC, as a matter of fact I am going to pick up an old Prakitca MTL5 SLR this morning, another camera you could knock nails in with and still get great shots from it afterwards.

My dream is to have a Digital version of a fully manual SLR, built like they used to be at a price that is aimed at ordinary photographers not a bunch of rich old camera collector Dudes.

Regards

Dave

Downunder
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:45 PM   #20

Hi Dave (or anyone else) - I've got an old Minolta SRT-102 manual film SLR with a Minolta 50mm f1.7 prime, and a Vivitar xx-200mm zoom. Any idea of what I could expect to get from this stuff if I was to put it on eBay or the like? Everything is in very good condition and still works. Since Dave was mentioning old stuff, I thought I'd ask here. :G
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote