Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1

I like my dx 7440. 4mp, 4x optical zoom and fits in most of my coat pockets and/or under most of my jackets. Can't find a bad thing to say about it other than weak peanut flash (all compact cameras have weak flash) and one eyelet for wrist strap rather than nice 2 eyelet neck strap.

I love my Olympus 2100uz with 10x optical zoom despite being less than 3mp. Abit on the bulky side, Could only fit in Capitain Kangaroos coat coat pocket.

Amazon has the P850 for $399.94 and I have a $100. gift certificate from my birthday last month that would make it $299.94 and free frt.

Is it worth waiting for the new toys that should be coming out at the Vegast trade show? or grab this hot steaming deal now?

Hey Mr. Blue, has the trade show come yet???

Which is worse no money to buy a new toy or not being able todecide ona new toy as the money is burning in my pocket???

BiLL

:?
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:19 AM   #2

We should all have that dilema.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:29 AM   #3

Read not so good review on p850 lcd pannel. Would a dx 7590 be a smarter move ???

BiLL

Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

7590 LCD is smaller.

Don't sweat it, grab your cash and get the "newer" toy with the extra bells and whistles.

Also, you can now find the 850 for around 325 with Dell coupons.

I've never been a fan or Dell or Amazon, so it's a toss up on that one.

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:59 PM   #5

I hear a voice saying "do it, you want it, it's the right thing" and in the other ear I hear a voice saying "the review said fair focus, poor low light peerformance"

Do you have any low light images that you can post? Hand held, out door and indoor low light?

BiLL

:?

This BiLL but I am at girl friends house. She has the dx 7590

:|

gilsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:11 PM   #6

gilsom wrote:
Quote:
I hear a voice saying "do it, you want it, it's the right thing" and in the other ear I hear a voice saying "the review said fair focus, poor low light peerformance"

Do you have any low light images that you can post? Hand held, out door and indoor low light?

BiLL

This BiLL but I am at girl friends house. She has the dx 7590
Welcome tothe World of Digital Photography.
It seems to befairly common for "Ultra Zoom" camera's to have sub optimal focus capabilities WHILE in low light situations. There is much documentation about it, so you dont have to just take my word for it. However, in my first hand experiences even while using an AF assist lamp I have found low light focus to be a challenge. (Technology can take you so far).

Note,there are somecams on the marketthatusea red "laser" that beamsonto the subject, andhas shown to have good success in low light. (select Sony units have it, but it's pricey)

Theremay besome users of non-kodak camswhospoutabout how great their camera does low light focus.BUT in the majority of cases the above information holds to beTRUE.

In testing I have taken various shots around the house in low light, and the AF warning lights up on the LCD, indicating the cam is unable to focus. But when the flash fires the shot is lit up and the shots seemed to turn out decent.Even if I did post them, they wouldnt really helpyou decide (see first paragraph).

Just wondering, Bill, are you not able to log on to your account while at you gf's?
The forum isnot specific to yourPC only.

Also, if your gf has the 7590 have you taken shots with that in low light?

My bottom line advice..
Bbuy the P850 cam (ignore your little voices) from a reputable retailer, and if you find it unsuitable for your needs, take it back for a refund and try something else. Thats the only way you will really know.

regards
-TG

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:41 PM   #7

Thanks, I suspected that but wanted to hear another voice. I have and love my Cannon zr85 DV camera (20x optical with I/S (it gets to a point that s/i becomes worthless if you breath or have a heart beat) and has great color and sharpness). All the reviews echo poor low light, but low light calls for aux. light.

G/F does not go on line too often but I convinced her this forum was worth a visit now and then if just to see other images. Aforum is a place to air questions and problems plus share solutions and insights.

I went into her favorites including this forum to look for any replies to my postings and when I saw yours I just added my counter post without signing in.

We were looking at the images of that fellow nugget from Germany with all those great images.

Being devoted pessamist I often tell myself that those pictures must be souped up with a Adobe program, compressed for posting and so good????

But that just part of my choire of voices I keep with me!

BiLL

:roll: