Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

I am going to Disney this weekend. Do I absolutely have to use a tripod to get any good light display pics? I am assuming we would be on the move all the time and wouldn't like to have to carry my tripod with me. It is kind of big.

I am assuming that for the parade I must sit down right in front so I can catch a pic before they start moving, better chances of getting a good pic...right?
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

You have to check with Mickey.

If in doubt bring a mono-pod or send them a e-mail with your question about tripod.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:08 PM   #3

How long have you had your P850?

I am hemming and hawing over if I should get one. I now have a dx7440 (4mp 4x optical) that I like for its size and optical view finder but I miss my Oly 2100uz with 10x optical.

The new Panasonic/Leica 12x optical is very tempting but just out side my budget.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:14 PM   #4

Certainly, the best pics would happen with a tripod, but I wouldnt want to carry one around Disney either. I dont have the 850 but I would think the IS should help a lot along with a faster shutter speed if need be. For longer exposures you might try setting the cam on a railing or table or whatever is handy. Try a string tripod, it may help some. thread 1/4" eyebolt into the tripod socket, tie 2 pieces of cord to the eybolt and place the ends under your feet

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:08 PM   #5

Dan's suggestion is a good one if they won't let you use a monopod. Otherwise you'll need to find a way to brace your back against something or place the camera on something stable!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:45 PM   #6

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
Try a string tripod, it may help some. thread 1/4" eyebolt into the tripod socket, tie 2 pieces of cord to the eybolt and place the ends under your feet
Just make sure you don't trip over that string and fall to the ground with your cam!

I'm planning to head over to Disneyland New year's Eve. Hope to bring back a few good pics...
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:46 AM   #7

Thanks for your responses. I have had it since Black Friday. You are right, some pics came out very nice with a fast shutter speed and no flash (depending how close I was too the lights (I practiced with some xmas displays).

Before the P850 I had the DX7440 and I was very happy with it, I only upgraded because of the zoom capabilites (at the moment) I assume I need to try to be as close as possible, with a high zoom the possibilities are higherfor blurry pics...right?

I am not that confident yet about taking pics of xmas lights at night. So the concerns are not about how the camera will perform but how the "photographer" will do...kwim?

As soon as I get back I will post some and let you know how it went.
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:52 AM   #8

Lots of good luck and happy shooting!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:34 PM   #9

very crafty 2 wrote:
Quote:
I am not that confident yet about taking pics of xmas lights at night. So the concerns are not about how the camera will perform but how the "photographer" will do...kwim?
You might want to try playing around in manual (M) mode for your night light scenes. Aperature or Shutter Priority may not give you the best results you're looking for.

I played around with the M mode the other night, and found the EV compensation bar will act as an exposure meter, and turn green when exposure is good enough to lock. This will allow you to play with both aperature and shutter speeds to try and get the shot. Of course I recommend that you try this mode out before hand to make sure you're comfortable with it, and can get it working for you.
Good luck! :|
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:23 PM   #10

Biglots carries a compact telescoping tripod that folds to about 9.5" with about a 2" closed diameter/thickness. It extends to 41". It's suprisingly sturdy when extended and small enough to toss in a camera bag or backpack and never know it's there.

Here's an example of the same or very similar... http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-VIDEO-CAME...QQcmdZViewItem
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote