Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:01 AM   #11

Some nice insights there John and a lot of truth to what you said!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:27 AM   #12

I'm not mad at the folks at RITZ camera. Like I said, these two guys would give their mother to the devil for a sale.

" Anyway, when will people stop blaming others and objects for their laziness, and lack of ability to learn?"

How is it that we are lazy by going into a store and asking to look at a few camera's?, and whohas layed blame on whom?

As said on the KODAK forum

All of the above cameras are good. All are a bit different with the same base specs.
I didn't go in to pull anything on these guys ya know. I just had some time to kill. I wanted to look at a few rigs. I wanted to compare a few things. They didn't evan give me a chance to say anything. They wanted to keep me off balance with bullchit so they could make the sale. They had an answer for everything no matter how far it was from the truth. I just thought it was an experince I'd pass on.

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:49 AM   #13

Ok... far as I'm concerned it's over. If someone doesn't allow oyu to see what you KNOW they have in stock, then by all means, you have the right to leave and take your business where it will be appreciated.

The salesmen were probably in the wrong, but most salespeople will offer their personal opinion on things they sell. As a rule, I usually try to find the cheaper alternative for the customer, because that makes more sense. Volume can be more profitable, and because you save them money, they will come back to you. I deal with the people trying to buy cameras as well (although i don't work in electronics), and usually start by asking "what do you want from your camera?", unless they have something in mind, then i show them that one, and tell them if there is something more affordable, or tell them why I think it is a weak system, and ask if they would like to see my preference, and if they do, I show them. If not, we go ring it up. I have never had a problem, and have downsold many customers, who just wanted to make snapshots.

The main thing...

Know what you want
Know your goals
Go somewhere the cameras are on display where you can touch them (best buy, circuit city, for example)

If you can't just browse, and touch at your leisure, there's a good chance of issues with information, or service.

Sorry if I came off wrong, but this issue of "comparing and what's best" is a pet peeve of mine, as alot of would be good photogs waste their time worrying over it, and my replies were not geared 100% at any one particular person, read other's replies to you. It could be somewhat offensive to a salesperson...
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:45 AM   #14

Not to worry John...........all is cool. I like a person that can say what he thinks and stick to it if everyone agrees or not.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #15

you know, it's really funny, because I work for Ritz Camera. in fact, I've worked with them for about 6 months now. after reading all these posts, I had to join the site.

i agree with most of the statements here because, even though I've been working with them for 6 months, i still don't know much about the cameras, and certainly not about the one's we don't have in stock. thing is, while we are one of the smallest stores that Ritz owns, purely because we are located inside a boscovs as a kiosk, we still have a lot of products, and we are expected to know everything about everything by our customers. that is impossible. we get no official training for the cameras or accessories. we only know what we learn from playing with the cameras basically. so when we get asked specific questions about a certain camera, it may take us a bit of researching and time to find out an answer. but are the customers happy with the wait? no! of course not, because they expect an immediate response from us. we can't be expected to know every little detail and piece of information about cameras or their accessories. basically, we know what we know, and it's more than the average consumer, which is what is needed. i know that professional photographers come in to buy things too, but if they know what they are buying, then why ask all these specifics just to test us and frustrate us? it makes our lives stressful and tough customers ruin our days at work.
i understand that not everyone is nice, nor does everyone know what they want in a camera, but please try to understand that not everyone is sales oriented, some of us are actually concerned about the people. at least i know that i am. i try to make sure that everyone gets what they need and want, nothing extra that they really wont use. of course, that isn't acceptable to my manager, who repeatedly shows us our numbers, and tells me to do better the next month and to get better sales. it's really not fair to the employees or the customers, because we have to fight our morals to sell to make the boss happy, but the customers walk away feeling a bit uncomfortable with their new purchase. it's very sad really. i don't care a lot about commission either. as long as i help the customer, and they're happy, then i'm happy.
in short, every store is different, every employee is different with different values and training and knowledge, and every experience is different, hopefully usually positive. up here in the maryland district, we're pretty nice people, as far as i've seen.
hopefully no one will generalize all Ritz stores with negative thoughts just because a few sales oriented people ruined a few cutomers' experience.
---
thank you for reading the rant of datapike
</rant>
datapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 1:35 PM   #16

LOL, I had an experience at Ritz once as well and agree that in general they dont have a clue of what they are selling and as for myself , I don't keep my tongue in my pocket and told this salesperson to learn the product he sells or find a new line of work and he has been there for 3 years lol. Nothing ticks me off more than an uninformed sales person. I sometimes have told even walmart customers in the electronics department not to listen to the associate and have directed them to a cheaper and more reliable product. Am I qualified to tell them this ?? YES I am , I have been a musician for 35 years and know electronics very well so I wouldnt tell somebody that a ford is better than a gmc when I know nothing about them. The electronics and music store I have worked in DEMAND that one knows the product before selling it and IMO, the majority of Ritz stores that I have delt with should practice this as well. I often go into electronics stores just to browse and get a feel for the staff and the knowledge of the product they sell, more expensive does not mean better as we all know. I also tend not to buy from a commisioned sales person and this is not a rant on sales people, because the majority do know what they are doing and do the job well !

Just my 2 cents :-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 4:43 PM   #17

Wow I forgot all about the thread. It sure is funny how it can go from what happen to me at RITZ all the way to buy a DSLR if you want image quality. How it turned into us not wanting to learn whenI was only telling about two guys that work at one RITZ camera. Then how it can be said that RITZ Camera is a not a specialty store. It's a camera specialty store.

Well after this posting I went and bought all of the cameras I listed above except the NIKON 8800. I took all of them back including the P850. For the money none of them out performed the DX7590 much. As for the two clowns at RITZ, well I think they found employment elsewhere. Maybe selling used cars at the corner lot.
Old May 12, 2006, 2:38 PM   #18

My 2 cents...

Yeah, I also had experiences with clueless sales people at Ritz. The ones I dealt with seemed to be highschool kids working part-time afterschool jobs, without a manager present in the store.

My take on it is based on my background in the bicycle industry. I worked in a bicycle shop as a teenager. After college, I worked as a sales rep for a bicycle manufacturer, serving retail bicycle stores in 4 US states. I rubbed elbows with other people in the industry with similar backgrounds, and I taught technical seminars to the employees of the retail stores I served. I imported professional racing bicycles and parts from Italy and France. I also raced bicycles for nearly 20 years and was a national level racing official. I would say I KNEW bicycles. So when I later served as the general manager of a chain of bicycle stores I ONLY hired sales staff who were hard core bicycle people and knew the product inside and out and never had to BS a potential buying customer. Why doesn't Ritz Camera (and all the camera and consumer electronic outlets) do the same thing?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 3:49 PM   #19

I used to be into bikes before I picked up a brain injury (25mph, full facer, faceplant) and could easily and confidently state I was the best wheel builder in my city. Simply because I had self taught myself because the shops couldn't do the job that well and I weighed more than the average rider and doing big drops meant I didn't like riding home with square rims!!!

I've seen the state of the retail industry and it is simply going to get worse in the UK as china try to take over the retail economy. Meaning chain stores will likely collapse through losses.

I am fed up of seeing in my city's camera shop (well, it's a small city) people coming in for a decent amateur capability camera and getting talked into the latest £220/280 6mp tiny thing with a pop out 3x/4x lens and no accessory options. I feel like screaming and pulling out my Z740 and saying that if a £150 camera can have a 10x optical lens, interesting macro facility with an extra £17 worth of macro lenses bought on ebay (Fox brand) 55mm screw in lens and filter capability (UV, Warmtone, Polariser, etc) and tele/wideangle( I have a cheap wideangle that is very useful for interesting closups but not so good for buildings that cost me £12.12 s/h) and none of the things I use to get images are available for these little diddy cameras. They aren't much good for anything but family and tourist snaps in my opinion without heavy duty image cropping and adjustment.

This is where the internet comes in. You find some hobby that intrigues you, have a look on the net and examine the user reviews in the budget you can afford and research the hardware and accesories, the future options, the technique, the nets full of it! then you go in the shop and buy your gear, or save money and mail order if you know somewhere decent and respectable that doesn't screw people over with grey items or dodgy delivery.

the internet has made high street sales drop because no longer can those salespeople bamboozle you and sell you something you don't need or want, you have the information (and sometimes more than them!) and can make proper purchases.

anyone heard the story about Dell approached by a business customer wanting a couple of high end office pc's and "something to lkink them together" who ended up with the pc's they wanted and a £7000 server unit instead of a £4 Ethernet lead and maybe a router if they wanted future expandability, lol! Even though citizen rights groups got on to Dell about it, Dell wouldn't back down as business customers classed differently from domestic customers!

TimD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:48 PM   #20

Tim, getting back to Ritz... I have never had a Ritz sales person try to "bamboozle" me, sell me something I didn't need, or misrepresent a product. Usually the salespeople look annoyed that a customer walked in and disturbed them while they were doing their 11th grade History homework or playing a video game. If I asked to see something from behind the counter they would simply hand it to me and stand there with a blank expression until I was finished and handed it back. Never asking if I had any questions, never trying to close a sale, but also never being devious or impolite either. As I said, these were obviously just high school kids who were essentially cashiers/stock people, and who knew nothing (and cared nothing) about cameras and/or photography.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote