Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:40 PM   #1

I stopped into RITZ today. I asked to look at,

KODAK P850

CANON S2IS

NIKON 8800

SONY H1

PANASONIC FZ30

Was told by the saleman that KODAK did not make a camera with 12X zoom and IS. When I said I'm sure they do the second salesman behind the counter jumped in and told me I was mistaken. That the P880 was the only camera in the P line from KODAK. He then pulled a DX7590 from the case ( The big label said it was a Z7590 ) and told me this was the longest zoom camera KADAK made. He then went on to tell me I didn't want anything KODAK made that they were years behind.

Then I asked to see the S2IS, I was told that that camera was not in stock but at the warehouse. He then went on to tell me it was a poorly built camera and he would not have one.

Ok may I see the NIKON 88OO I asked. He told they do not stock or warehouse that camera because it's over priced and the slowest camera in the class.

When I asked to see the Sony H1 he stopped to tell me about the PANASONIC FZ30. This is the best camera in this class. It has the highest reviews of any camera in all tests. It's the best built, best picture quality, best EVE and LCD of any digital made. The camera is now in my hands and I again ask to see the SONY H1. He tells me he sold the last one the night before and does not think they will have another till the new year.

While I'm looking over the P880, DX7590, and the FZ30 the second salesman goes to help a lady 10 feet away from me. She came in to get the CANON A410 thats listed in the flyer for $199.99. That salesman tells her that the KODAK C310 is a much better camera at the same price and that it comes with a printer you put the camera on. He told her how great KODAK cameras were. He told her that they are so easy to use. He told her the printer was rated as the best in the market today. He told her KODAK cameras are among the best.

The two guys in that store would give their mother to the devil to make a sale. It's to bad they have no idea how to tell if someone knows evan a little bit about what they are saying. I never opened my bag with the P850 and three other cameras in it. I just walked out.

Thats store is located in Chandler Az
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:10 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up on the store, SW.I would have left after his first statement which proved he ( and his partner, a good pair)knew nothing. The worst part is that unknowing folks are relying on these "experts" to help them.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:06 AM   #3

I have been in 2 different stores here in Houston to "kill time" at lunch. I would not buy as much as a lens cap from Ritz camera. They are overpriced and have no clue what their business is selling. There is nothing I hate more than an uninformed salesman. If you are a salesman and you are reading this...LEARN YOUR PRODUCT LINE!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:12 PM   #4

great story!

I had a not-so-excitingRitz camera experience just recently as well.
First, I phoned them and asked if they had a flash attachment for the P850. A young boy said he was "just talking to the Kodak rep the other day about that". He saidtheyhave one in stock, and it sells$50.

So I drove to the store looking for the newflash.A lady waited on me and said they did not haveaflash for that camera,andonlyKodak made one (which they didnt have in stock). She began ranting about how she hated Kodaks because they are unable to get any accessories for them, and also thatno Kodak rep that ever comes in.

I also asked her about the P880 unit. She pulled their demo out andproceeded to take photo's with it onlyto educate herself abouthow it worked. After a few shots that didnt turn out well, so she showedeach of themto me, whileexpressing her dissapointment.

Little did she know, I hadhappened to have my new P850with me (incamera bag). So I pulled it out and took 3 pics of the EXACT same shotsshe did and strangely enough mine all turned out just fine.

It didnt take long to figure outneither employee had a clue what they sold, what it was for, orhow any of the cams even worked. They care about commission though i'm sure.

Oh and I stillhave theshots, so here they are.

Nothing special,just someguy sittingdown in the mall - wide & zoom shot.
(The first is alittle washed out on the side, but this may have been with the generice flash hooked to it...:shock:.. look closely inthe right side of the photo and you can see the flash reflection in the window on the other side)

Attached Images

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

looks fine to me :roll:

Attached Images

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:16 PM   #6

And another case of someone not knowing how to use a camera and blaming the camera!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:58 AM   #7

Never have any problem at wolf camera (it is ritz, with a different name owned and operated by the same people, just a different region), and the prices are the same as our local camera store. That means a bit higher than dept. stores, and at dept. stores, they know even less.

Anyway, when will people stop blaming others and objects for their laziness, and lack of ability to learn?

I work in retail also, and get crazy questions all the time. One of my favorite camera questions was "what exactly is a mega-pixie". However, what most people not in retail don't realize, is that your job is typically defined with atitle, but you do not necessarily do the same thing each and everyday. At Wal-Mart, there is no training on products, the only way I find out about products is to read the box, or research it myself. That is also how I learn when shopping (and I do not shop at wal-mart). Anywhere I shop, I do my own research. In retail, the top employees are usually reffered to as "floaters", because they have high production, and can do several jobs (or areas) in a shift, therefore, sometimes you may catch someone in an area they know nothing about. I have been in that situation, and when you tell a customer "I don't know, this isn't my department" (even if you call someone to help them) they roll their eyes, and look at you like you are stupid. So,when you get enough of that, you tell them what they want to hear, because if it isn't what they want to hear, they get mad anyway.

When a customer asks me how something works, or what it is for, guess what I usually do... READ THE PACKAGING!! Right there in front of them, the same thing they could do, but are too lazy to do. They want someone to blame if they make the wrong purchase. The true reason while customer service has been on decline the last decade (I have worked in restaurant management as well) is because customers in general have an attitude, and want someone to blame. I never have an attitude with a customer, but also have the training to deal with them, thanks to management experience, most "salespeople" don't have that training available anywhere.

Now that i have ruffled some feathers, get out your brooms and pitchforks...
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:16 AM   #8

And another thing... lol

If you want top image quality, go with a DSLR. The sensor in compacts are too small, and the all-inclusive lenses are inferior.

And, what defines a good image?? Content would be my guess, don't matter what you use. If the photo doesn't stir some type of thought, it is worthless, even if you have one of the newest, "best" cameras.

The answer to how good these cameras are can be found in their specs (just read them), and to find out how comfy the camera is, just hold it... simple.

By the way, I love my compact Kodak, and it isn't even a P-anything. What's more, is I have never been able to blame it or any of my other 4 cameras on bad images...hmmm

Sorry to sound like an a**... but that's the way it is.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:54 PM   #9

John.............I expect that at KMart,Walmart,Target. When I go to an auto parts store the guy should have some idea about auto parts. Same when I go to a camera store, but they should have some idea about cameras. At Walmart I just hope they know how to ring me up.

PS:I guess somefeel that the consumer is to blame for spending money in stores and wanting help from the store employees. Another good reason to buy from on-line venders. Guess it'll not be long before many stores will find they have no customers to blame for taking up their time
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:10 AM   #10

LOL, noone has wasted my time. I enjoy helping customers, I am simply saying that you shouldn't get mad at the people working, as they are not always perfectly trained, and you should have come to expect that in today's society, with high turnover, and budget cuts abound.

I have come to expect that, and that is why I read, and do my own research. Ritz camera is not a specialty store, they sell many brands and although it is photo or video related it is not specialty. If I go to a camera shop that only sells cameras, then and only then will I expect someone there to know something. On the other hand, I know something, and can think for myself, so they don't hve to make my mind up for me.

You should take this lightly, as all I am trying to say, is educate yourself, because retail employees are told to make the customer happy, and make high sales. The sales actually come first. A friend that plays guitar and I were having a similar discussion. He told me his fender telecaster was so great, and I asked, well what if we took the electronics and put it in the biggest piece of crap you could find. Or, what if we put ANY guitar through an amp and get the highest level of distortion and compare side by side. They would both have the same result, it all comes to a matter of personal preference. Don't believe the manufacturers hype.

PS... I purchased a camera recently, a fixed lens P&S "toy" camera, and the salesperson told me I shouldn't purchase it unless I am a pro. She didn't really know what it was, but I didn't get mad at her, just smiled, and thanked her for her time.

I have heard nice older women called bi*** and a**hole, because they don't know some products, and have seen some cry over it. It all comes down to everybody respecting everybody.

We are not all stupid at Wal-Mart by the way, I hope you never fall on tough times, and have to take a job beneath you. Just in cas you think I was trying to insult you, I wasn't, I am finished with this thread... Have a Great Day