Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1

Been reading reviews and forum postings to the point of near blindness!

The p850 is falling to the rear, too many negative points floating around.

The dx 7590 is starting to slip to the front.

The Lumix fz30 could be hanging around my neck if the price were lower.

The p850 is less than $50.00 more than the dx 7590 at Amazon (locked into Amazon due to $100.00 gift certificate).

All those dead presidents are just burning in my pocket!!!

BiLL

:?
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:42 AM   #2

The P850 is as good if not better than the 7590 in photo quality with the added benefit of IS and manual focus and a 12X lens instead of a 10X lens. For only 50 dollars more it would be a no brainer to me. Most of the bad reviews of P850 owners are from folks who either don't own one and for some malicious reasons of their own are dissing this camera or they do own one and don't have the brains or where withal to figure out how to use it! I believe in the right hands it will give as good of photos as any---ANY-- 5 megapix camera on the market! But you must be your own judge here Bill as it is your money not mine!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:33 AM   #3

Yes, I am aware of that but there was a interesting comparisson at the other forum by the guy with the yellow race car avitar that had nicer tones for most of the 7590 shots with the exception of the adobe house and I think it was mentioned that the chip in the 7590 gave better color unless his white balance was different or the choice of color/enhanced color was different.

All this comparison reading is going to give me a nasty squint like Robin Williams in Popeye if I don't resolve this self induced problem.

Those Lumix cameras are still singing to me in the back of my head.

BiLL

:?:roll::?:roll:
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:06 AM   #4

RJ's post are just an indication that the two cameras are different not one better than the other. I'm sure if you asked him he'd have much the same to say! He has both but wouldn't get rid of either. From what he has said and reading between the lines I think he likes the P850 better than the 7590 but is still learning it!

Dawg
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:14 AM   #5

I agree!

He does not seem the type that would hold onto a dud or waste timetalking aboutit in his postings.

If I go with the P850 and find I don;t like I will stuff a rabid foaming at the mouth pit bull into your mail box!

BiLL

:evil:

Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6

He'd be welcome. He and the wife would have a lot in common!! LOL

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7

Nice shot there Dawg!

Anyway, the p850 is a good package and feels good in the hands. The most important thing to remember is will it help YOU to take good photos. If you are not comfy with it, and can't learn how to use it, then it is no good. There is no "all-in-one" solution, and all cameras have some merits. The context is always more important than quality, and any warm or cool tones can easily be altered. In my film cameras, when I want warm, I use one film, when I want cool, I use another. On digital, when you want warm, find the correct white balance, or setting in your photo editor, same with cool. I understand you don't want to carry a big bag of cameras, but if you choose one, then choose one that suits your favorite type of work.

Good Luck in your choice, and have fun with it, too many photogs stress over equiptment. Here's a shot of my "family", minus the DX7630 used to take the shot.

By the way, each camera represented has a different purpose, and the main one is the silver one (they are all film), and the dx7630, as my only digital, used to test exposures, composition, and when I want a light load.
Attached Images

johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8

I got the P850 about 2 weeks ago. I was in the same boat, unable to make up my mind.

After playing with it for the past two weeks, I feel I made the right choice. It's easy enough for a novice to use, throw it into Manual mode and you get a boat load of new features..

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the propritery Kodak RAW file format. Not that it's something I'll use that often.

After trying a few models at the store, I discovered IS is a feature I cannot go without with a long zoom lens..
scoob8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:01 PM   #9

Bill, I had one of the first dx7590's that came out and I love it. BUT-if I could trade it and $50 for a p850, I wouldn't hesitate.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:57 PM   #10

:?

Bill, congrats, you can now be foundon5 different threads
in the ever popular topic "Is itworth buying the P850?"

Imust know...How much is too much?

Xmas Parade and Kodak P850:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/r...post_id=423083

Jack Nicolas...:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=422630

New P850 review now online: