Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:22 PM   #1

Hi, I just stumbled across this great site!! I just bought a new p850 and am totally overwhelmed! Any care to give me a few tips, or point me to some good tutorial websites? I tried to switch it to maual mode, with no luck. I couldn't figure out how to change the mode, and the pictue didn't snap till about 15 seconds after I took it, then it was just a white screen. I'm so new at this..please help!! Anyone!!

TIA!!
Jenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2

that doesnt sound right.15 seconds then a white screen? thats not normal.

I would contact Kodak customer support to see if there is sometning wrong with it. Check your manual for phone # or go to http://www.kodak.com .
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3

You had a 15 sec open shutter and your picture was overexposed. This is not a defect. Put the camera in auto mode and snap away. Try kodak's website for lots of videos to assist with that model camera. Keep the camera in full auto mode until you get comfortable with your picture taking ability. This is a professional camera with many manual settings. It can be much at first if you are not used to them. The kodak manual is also a great place to start.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:08 AM   #4

For a quick tutorial on the pasm modes as well as the new camera, I recomend going here :http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/1-forum-23.html
Coldsnail put this together and it has helped many people. While there, register and join in the fun with all the fine folks on the Easysharers forum. The more the merrier!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5

Did it come with a manual?

There are some good forums out there, and the one Dawg suggested may be one, but I have not checked it. How I learn to use my systems, is reading the manual, and making mistakes, and learning from them. Since you have no development costs, you can snap away, without worrying about the cost. Try different settings, and learn what each does, and keep the manual close by and refer to it often.

For example, take a stationary subject, and shoot it in different scene modes, and see what works, and what doesn't. Most of those working professionally keep a journal so they can scribble down settings, and other little notes to follow up later.

As for the P850 being a pro camera, any camera is a pro camera. Professional is defined as someone who makes money from what they do, and you can make money with any camera, and are limited by your knowledge, and creativity. Pro cameras as defined by manufacturers are usually waterproof to some degree, and made of a metal body... So, in essence it very well could be a pro camera, or not, but don't let that itimidate you.
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:01 PM   #6

Yep the site Dawg gave a link to will help.

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...d&mforum=1
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:00 AM   #7

John you ought to check it out. I can guarantee you'd be welcome!

Dawg
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:01 AM   #8

lol! Why is it that i'd be welcome?? LMAO

johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:04 AM   #9

Because everyone is welcome there untill they wear it out. I may not be far from that last bit there myself!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:52 AM   #10

do you have to sign up to read messaage?

I didnt see any postings there???
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote