Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1

I've ordered a Kodak P850 camera which I should receive by Fed Ex tomorrow.

I had read in one of the reviews that there was a spec that was required to use the SD memory. Someting in regard about signatureinformation on the chip was necessary before you could format and use the memory in the camera. I now cannot find this information, as I've been reading everybit of information about the camera for the last week at home and on the road.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any information in this regard.

I have download the manual and noticed that the specifications in the storage capacity section list memory chips, only up to 512 MB. I would like to get a 1 or 2 gb chips. Will this camera work with 1 or 2 gig memory chips?

Also, I have researched the read, write speeds of many of the SD memory chips and would like to ask what would beoptimum value of theread write speeds of the memory cards. I know that there is a point that the memory read/write speeds exceeds the read/write speeds of the camera. I would appreciate it if any of you had a feel for the optimum read/write speeds and the other qustions as mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Glen Conway

Glen Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

I don't pay much attention to read write speeds on camera's as I don't do a lot of high speed shoots. So far, a normal 512 SD card works great in my 6490! I do know some folks that are useing a 1 gig card with no problemo in th eP850! In fact I can't see why one wouldn't work in my DX6490. Nothing really standing in the way so to speak (Except my lack of funds!) I know I just plugged the SD card in and hit format in the menue and it formatted it and set up a file on the card automatically! Hope some of that helps!!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

The last time I checked the Kodak suport data base formy DX7590 they said that using the 'high' speed memory cards on the 7590 would be ok but the camera would not write any faster than on a normal speed card. They were also saying that newer models should be able to use the high speed cards.

Saynig that....I have a 1gig high speed card in my DX7590 and it works fine. I also have 2 512 MB cards (regular speed) that work fine too. There was one brand of card that they were having trouble with in the kodak cameras (SanDisk Ultra II SD memory ).

I recomend that you go to Kodak.com and search the support faqs for your camera and see what they have there.

I just checked and the Kodak site lists a 1 GB card for you P850. Soo it looks like they will work in your camera. But the 512 MB is the recomended card.

cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:14 PM   #4

dawg is right

brand - any should work
size -up to 1GB
speed -wont matter

just look for deals, and get a good price
you can find a 512 for around $20-$24 shipped
1 GB will work if you want to spring for it
but you can usually get (2) 512 cards for less $ than (1) 1GB,
and its still the same amount of storage

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:49 AM   #5

I am using a SanDisk Ultra II SD 1gig card in my DX6490 and am having no problems.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:56 AM   #6

I have the P850 and use a SanDisk 1 GB card and I don't see why you'd have a problem with a 2 gig card. As far as the speed of the card, it won't really make too much difference in the cameraor if you use the USB port or the camera and/or printer dock to transfer picture to the computer.

If you have a high speed USB card reader then the faster memory will download faster. If you shoot1 GB of pictures then I highly recommend a fast card reader such as the SanDisk reader. It is painfully slow downloading 1 gig of pictures from the camera or dockUSB connection.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:30 AM   #7

He's right. If you don't have a good card reader get one ASAP. The difference won't be noticed with a 128 MB card but at 1 gig it will truly be worth it! I have a 512 and can get in the high 300's as far as the no. of photo's stored but with raw files or tiff files more storage would be better!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:35 PM   #8

I just got back from visiting all the relatives and had 129 MB of pictures. As a test I put the camera in the dock and copied the pictures to the hard drive. It tookover 2 minutes. Next I took the card and put it into the SanDisk HiSpeed card reader and it took 30 seconds to copy those same files.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:54 PM   #9

I have severalstandard (non hi-speed) SD cards.

They showfaster copyspeed with the reader than with the dock.

So, it's not thespeed of the card, but more the transport system used.

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote