Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1

I wanted a large zoom camera and narrowed my search down to the Kodak P850, the Sony H1 and the Canon S2. The writeups disclosed all had a couple of quirks and none were perfect. I decided on getting a cheaper zoom and the Z740.

The outdoor shots were great. The zoom worked and printed with no blur as I expected because the camera didn't have the latest anti shock system. Even the night shots were better than I expected outside.

I used the camera to take pictures of the family opening presents on Christmas Eve. I had the camera set to Auto and Flash. Most all of the pictures are too dark and in a couple of instances non focused. I've tried several settings and the pictures are not as good as the previous 3 Christmases taken with the old Minolta.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas.

Vince
Cuzin Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:33 AM   #2

Regardless of the focal length of the lens the cameras built in flash is nothing more than a little peanut of a flash!

The further the subject is from the flash the more fall off of light you will get. This will show in the image being less illuminated and a fall off of light around there perimeter of the picture.

There is a rule of the inversesquare that applies here.

Imagine your field of view at 4', now divide that image evenly in half in the horizontal and verticle and lets assume it is evenly lit. If you now double your distance from 4' to 8' your field of view would have not 8 sections but 16 squares of image area that you are trying to cover with the same strength light but from twice the distance and thus less is illuminated from left to right and top to bottom and still less light will reach your back ground which will now be still dorker if not black.

Hard to explain with out illustrations

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:45 AM   #3

Did you have your lens adapter on when shooting flash indoors. If you did remove it.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:14 AM   #4

Cuzin Vinnie wrote:
Quote:
I wanted a large zoom camera and narrowed my search down to the Kodak P850, the Sony H1 and the Canon S2. The writeups disclosed all had a couple of quirks and none were perfect. I decided on getting a cheaper zoom and the Z740.
right, no cam is perfect. But why did you opt for the z740 instead of your orginal selections? If you want the "cheaper" cams, then expect "cheaper" results.
Note, the 850 has an option for external flash so you can always add one later.
(Sony H1 or Canon S2have no flash attach)

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Regardless of the focal length of the lens the cameras built in flash is nothing more than a little peanut of a flash!
exactly!!
theonboard flash will light your "subject" (being a person), considering it is 6-10 feet away, but it's not meant to light up a room. It depends on what you are shooting, the results will be different.

*I bought thez740 once -used it for2 weeks, thenreturned it.*
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:18 AM   #5

You can also adjust the exposure value up. Go to a plus two and it will brighten the photo a lot! I don't know if that particular camera has flash compensation but if it does go up in value with it too! Barring that go to manual mode and adjust the shutter speed downward to a slower shutter and shoot a few photos. Play around with it there. Also check your ISO and adjust it to a higher value. At ISO 400 and above some noise will start showing up but the exposure will be much brighter! We have all found that the adapter tube will give you a dark photo unless you use an auxilliary flash set up! The tube reflects the on board flash back into the light sensors and causes a darker photo on most 10X Kodak zoom cameras! Just a few things to try!.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:24 AM   #6

You can add an auxilliary flash to your camera. I did but I found that with proper adjustments the camera and onboard flash work quite well as is! A look at my auxilliary flash set up!! This is a folding flash bracket and a slave flash that reads your onboard flash and then flashes. Almost instantaneous and about 5 times brighter than the one on the camera!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:57 PM   #7

Dawg... your replies were the most helpful. I got some good indoor shots
tonight. I like this little camera and I will keep learning.

For some... my reasons for getting the cheaper were stated in my original post. I was just looking for some guidance as I got from Dawg... No sales pitches and hey you dummy.

When I'm ready for the big boy and when the writeups are positive, I may buy again.

Vince
Cuzin Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:07 PM   #8

I didn't mean to come across as hey you dummy, if it was me you were refearing to. I just don't use alot of words. I don't want to run out to early in the day.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:12 AM   #9

When you get to know RJ you'll find he's the kind you want for a friend. He will not lie to you and he will help you when asked. You are very welcome for the info. I was helped by the many folks here and at the easysharer's forum. I just try to repay their kindness by helping others where I can! And making fun of my friends from time to time. LOL

Dawg
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:53 PM   #10

Also you may try the new firmware for the Z740 it`s on the Kodak site and it does improve on low light shots
Knight67 is offline   Reply With Quote