Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1

Hi i've misplaced the instructions to my 6490 and wondered if anyone (or bigdawg) would be able to help me in changing the shutter speed, also what does iso stand for. Found this site last night and i am well impressed with the amount of information i have learnt already. Keep up the good work.
bobins25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2

Bobins-

ISO = film speed. Increase the ISO setting numerically and the shutter speed will likewise increase. Be aware of the fact that as the ISO increases, there will also be a slight increase in electronic noise as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3

cheers pal i'll give it a try
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:13 PM   #4

You can download the owner's manual from Kodak's web site.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...3921/1141/1600

This should help you out.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:48 PM   #5

Here is the way to change your shutter speed. Just remember that when you leave the PASM mode and shut the camera off the settings can be lost and most times are, so you'll need to reset them each time. Not hard and doesn't take long at all. Using the same knob you turn the camera on with

1. Turn the on off knob to PASM

2. Put your finger on the jog dial located on the front of the camera and push it in to highlight the P or whichever letter is there (P,A,S,M) and it turns yellow with a blue arrow on each side of it.

3. Turn the jog dial until S is highlighted then push the jog dial in towards the camera until the S turns white.

4. Then rotate the jog dial until the yellow arrow is over the shutter speed indicator.

5. Then push the jog dial in until the shutter speed indicator turns yellow and has two blue arrows one on each side of it.

6. Now by rotating the jog dial you can change the shutter speed to the one you want.

7. You can go back to Auto mode by rotating the on off dial to the auto position

If you haven't turned the camera off the settings will remain until you change them or you turn it off. Also I said the shutter speed indicator would be yellow but it may be red as this is the cameras way of saying that the speed you have picked may not be the right one for correct exposure. Yellow means good and red means your too fast or slow. Hope this helps. If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6

thanks mate i'm on it
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7

Cheers big dawg thats a big help, i've never even used that jog dial before and was kind of wondering its purpose, thanks. bobins25.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:37 PM   #8

To me that jog dial is one of the best features of the DX6490. I use it a lot. In auto mode it can be used to change the Exposure Compensation values. That's that 0.0 you see in the bottom of the window. Push in on the jog dial and change the exposure in auto mode. This way you're not completly tied to the camera's settings. Have a happy new year!

Dawg
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:37 PM   #9

Another handy tip thanks dawg. bobins25
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:38 PM   #10

I'm full of them......then some would say I'm full of it!!! LOL have a Happy new one!!

Dawg