Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

Let me get this right, i have been reading through the forums today, and with my best christmas presents i have recieved yet, i have put on a 52mm lense adapter to the camera, then added a safety filter (which i think is a uv filter, correct me if i am wrong) to the adapter. From reading other Q&As i can leave this on all the time?Now although it has no name i also got a digital high definition 2x telephoto lens, can this be added to the safety filter? If you can help me this would be great as i am a novice with the add ons, also god help you if you do as i recieved about thirty other add on filters and lenses, not to sure about these either lol. But i'll keep reading through the forums and hopefully post you my progress, as bigdawg has become a bit of an inspiration to me. Thanks bobins25
bobins25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:24 PM   #2

Hello and Happy New Year!

I can't speak for the lens adaptor, as the standard Kodak tube is 55mm, but if it fits, then so should everything else. I keep a UV or polarizer on my camera at all times. There is quite a debate over this in some areas. (just check out www.nikonians.org if you don't believe me:roll As the Kodak is a fixed-lens camera, I tend to err on the side of caution. It's an easy job to replace a lens on an SLR/DSLR. (easy, not cheap) It's an entirely different matter on the Kodak.

As for your other attachments, you should be able to attach them to your filter. Watch for vignetting, though. The more stuff you add beyond the end of the lens, the more you cut down your field of view. With a 52mm adaptor, this will more likely happen sooner than later.

Enjoy your camera. I've taken 40,000-plus shots on mine. And have learned a great deal in the process. Make all the mistakes you want - that's what the delete button is for. :-)

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:50 PM   #3

And a happy new year to you too, i'll give it a try with and without the uv filter see if i can see a difference with the other lense on. what is vignetting? Thanks bobins25
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:53 PM   #4

This what you'll find most people using on the

Z740/DX6490/DX7590/Z7590/P850

OLYMPUS TCON 1.7X p/n 200862 <-------- zoom zoom zoom
KODAK Wide Angle p/n 1033323
KODAK B+W Circular Polarizer p/n 1072636
KODAK B+W Neutral Density p/n 8773376
KODAK TCON 1.4X p/n 8756488 another zoom

Many use a UV haze filter and adapterattached to the camera to protect the lens. I do, and just remove it if shooting indoors.

Alllisted above are55mm screw mount to adapter

KODAK Adapter p/n 1525088 for your camera

The adapter is 44.2mm thread to camera and 55mm to len's, and filters.

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
This what you'll find most people using on the

Z740/DX6490/DX7590/Z7590

OLYMPUS TCON 1.7X p/n 200862 <-------- zoom zoom zoom
KODAK Wide Angle p/n 1033323
KODAK B+W Circular Polarizer p/n 1072636
KODAK B+W Neutral Density p/n 8773376
KODAK TCON 1.4X p/n 8756488 another zoom

Many use a UV haze filter attached to the camera to protect the lens. I do, and just remove it if shooting indoors.

all are 55mm screw mount to adapter

KODAK Adapter p/n 1525088

The adapter is 44.2mm thread to camera and 55mm to len's, and filters.

I've heard the tcon-17 mentioned alot, think i'll have to save up my pennys though before buying one, as for the filters i'll check what i got at christmas, still playing with the different colour ones at the minute, think i'll go out in to the country side tomorrow and take them with me, Will all these lenses and filters fit on the p880 if i upgrade? thanks. bobins25.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:25 PM   #6

The thing is the Kodak standard for the high zoom and the P850 and 880 cameras is the 55mm adapter. The adapter tube from a Z740 or Z7590 or Dx6490 or DX7590 won't fit the P cameras as the end next to the camera is bigger. So if you have a lot of filters you want to use on any of these cameras you need the 55mm to 52mm stepdown ring. This would allow you to mount the 52mm lenses and filters to the 55mm adapter on any of the above cameras and some not up there! The TCON-17 and the 1.4 Kodak tele adapter require a 55mm base size. In other words to mount them to your 52mm adapter you'd have to get the step down ring adapter. As for vignetting.. think of looking down a long tube and seeing the black out line at the end furtherest away from you. As you walk towards the end of the tube the black area takes up less and less of the field of view. When you get to the end the black area dissapears. The same thing happens when you put a long stack of lens on your camera. Now you are looking through a tunnel or tube. At the widest setting of the zoom it looks just like looking through a tunnel. when you zoom out though it starts to disapear. With a smaller than design adapter and lens or filter stack it takes a lot more of the zoom to make it disapear. That round circle is the vignetting. The word was used in the beginning for those old timey photo's where they put an oval area surrounding the photo or painting. That oval area was called vignetting! Hope that helps. If you have more question feel free to ask. And by the way I'd listen to Tom Overton. He's the guy I learn from! Great human being. Happy New year to all!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:55 PM   #7

Nice one, Thanks for that information on lense adapter sizes, it has helped me understand alot more than i ever thought i would. Also the vignetting, I've experienced it when i added the telephoto lense, But only before i zoom in on an object. I guess a tcon-17 is the way forward:-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'll keep both eyes on tom's work aswell. Thanks. bobins25.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:36 PM   #8

That is one way. The Kodak 1.4 tele lens would be another. I believe Raynox makes one too but is more expensive. The TCON is more tried and true as so many have it and have used it to good effect. As far as I know no one has had a bad experience with one!

Dawg
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:51 PM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
And by the way I'd listen to Tom Overton. He's the guy I learn from! Great human being. Happy New year to all!

Dawg
Dawg, yer making me blush. Sometimes I can't tell an F-stop from a bus stop.:-)

Happy New Year to you too.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:10 PM   #10

Your not foolin me Tom!! I have learned a lot from you over the past year and wish to say Thank You, to you and all the other folks that have nursed me through the newbie stage to the point that I almost feel like I know a thing or two! LOL Now to work on the memory so I don't forget it all!

Dawg