Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1

Well, yesterday, with the Liberty bowl to keep me company, I sat down and read the 850 manual. Normally - I just hit buttons on things until something works...

I am still on the Auto mode setting. I plan to experiment in the future of course. After reading I have some questions:

1. Is there a good way to make the flash popup without putting hand over lense and holding the button down?

2. In the settings, there is Auto redeye. It would seem to me that you would want to set this to autofix/both.

3. The camera is set for no digital zoom as the default. Does anyone turn this on?

4. There is a setting for accessory lenses. I have the adaptor barrel and a neutral uv lense attached as many of you advised. Would you set the camera for accessory lense on in the menu? Or is this for the added lenses themselves like wide angle and telephoto.?

5. Using the Program button -- what would a basic set for this be that would work for a novice?

6. The command dial -- Anybody really use this? Seems a little awkward. I tried it for flash settings and I can see how it "might" be quicker...

7. I am still using Easyshare software. I know, I know, most aren't... but I like the transfer and how camera recharges on the dock at the same time. Transfer seems slow though and just to check this, I switched the camera to a usb cable to get it recognised as a drive in "my Computer" but the easyshare transfer mode still comes up. Is this an easy toggle in Windows xp?

8. I am still unclear on the Scn setting -- more reading is needed.

As a guy who is over 50, I find memory retention on this stuff frustrating.

Terry
TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

Terry-

I am 71 and I have no problems. I like the Kodak P-850 a lot. Let see if I can offer some help.

1. It is much better to place your mode selector in the "P" for program mode. The Program Mode operates exactly like the "Auto" mode, and offers you some real advantages as well.

(a) You will find that the flash, when placed in the auto flash position, will automatically open for you when a flash is needed.

(b) You can now use features such as ISO adjustment, all of your various flash modes, Exposure Compensation, and Flash Compensation that are normally totally locked out when your Mode Selector is in the "Auto" Mode.

2. Yes, if red-eye is a concern to you, use the pre flash and auto fix position.

3. I always leave the Digital Zoom in the OFF position because with the P-850 at a great than 12X zoom position, hand holding would be difficult and because all Digital Zoom does is degrade your photo image quality.

4. The Command Dial is great and it is a sure way to use all of the features of the P-850 quite easily.

5. Regarding accessory lenses, please refer to the camera documentation.

Give yourself some time to learn the P-850. It is a wonderful camera and I sure that you will enjoy it a lot. The sample photo that I have attached was taken at 12X optical zoom, without flash, at ISO 400 during a stage production on the Diamond Princess.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

No do not set to accessory lens when you have the lens adapter and filters on. Once you add the TCON or WCON then go to menu and set to accessory lenses.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I will take my camera off of the Lens accessory setting.

Doing more reading, it seems to me that instead of the "P" setting, you could use the SCN setting and choose the type of picture you are taking. This would be a first step away from an "Auto" setting type of guy. Right? Though I suppose you are forcing the camera to a certain mode and maybe the situation isn't exactly correct for it.

I took 1500 pictures in Europe quite a while ago with a 6490 and came up with a lot of good ones. As a novice, I've found that if nothing else, closer is better on a person picture. When I went to my nieces wedding, they were quite pleased with the results, of which they claimed were as good in some cases as the guy they hired. (Don't know about that...) Here are some of my albums btw... http://terryvd.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

I see how the menus are all different depending on the mode you are in.. Ahhhhh.... I see... I think.

As far as the over 50 comment.. I hate re-learning stuff all of the time. I find that taking notes help a lot.

Terry

TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:32 PM   #5

I take notes too Terry but I forget where I put them!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:37 PM   #6

Terry-

Thanks for letting us all take a look at your past photos. They look great. As an aviation buff myself, I retired as the first female Boeing 747 Captain from TWA some years ago, I can relate. Just think of your Kodak P-850 as a Kodak DX-6490 on steroids.

Yes, the Scene Modes are indeed helpful. However, you will find that you will ytend to use the Program Mode even more. The P-850 is a very capable digital camera and I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Please keep in mind that I check into the Forum regularly and I will be happy to answer any Kodak P-850 questions that you might have. I am a professional and I conduct digital camera workshops all over the world. So please understand, Terry, that no question is a dumb question.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:05 PM   #7

Just adding to the very good info already posted here:

2. The red eye auto fix program from the camera can make mistakes -some owners reported on dpreview that in certain conditions the program mistook red lips for red eyes and colored them black :-). If you have a photo editing program on your computer that can fix red eyes, I think it would be better to use it and set the camera to only use the pre-flash for red eye reduction. The P850 firmware in the works is supposedly addressing this issue.

5. If you find yourself changing a certain setting often and that setting is not that easily accessible with the menu system, you should assign it to the Program button. I set the Program button to bring up the White Balance menu as I like to set it as close to the real situation as possible.

6. I use the command dial / Set button a lot in the PASM modes (I spend most of the time in the M mode) to change the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Once you get used to it it's really handy.

7. If I am not mistaken P850 has USB 1.1 - that's why it takes longer to transfer the photos through it or through the dock. The fastest way to transfer pictures is with a card reader.

8. The Scene modes offer predefined settings for different situations. There aren't many things you an configure for them, and most of the settings are reset when you turn off the camera. On the other hand they are very easy to use. Once you learn how to use the PASM modes and the different settings available for them you can configure the camera in a similar way to the Scene modes - and do much more than that :-).

Take it one step at a time and have fun!

Ken
kdc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:53 AM   #8

kdc41 wrote:
Quote:
2. The red eye auto fix program from the camera can make mistakes -some owners reported on dpreview that in certain conditions the program mistook red lips for red eyes and colored them black :-).

No wonder! That has happened to me a couple of times with the same person.
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:37 AM   #9

I never use an in camera program or flash setup to correct redeye. Just post process and enjoy!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote