Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:02 PM   #1

Girl Friend left Earthlink DSL because they kept messing up her account saying unpaid and kept terminating her. She decided to go with Verizon (local telephone service). The medems DSL light keeps flashing due to (according to Verizon) length of the phone wire which is over 6 feet long (close to 80 feet, out one window and in a window in another room, this was working with Earthlink DSL). Their solution is to get another jack in same room but closer to p.c. (there is one 30' from p.c.) or get a 80' Ethernet wire and put the modem in the other room near the phone jack. I would think that adding a second phone jack to the same room but closer is the same as a long wire to the existing phone jack.

I recomended connecting to the same jack as the phone in the room as a phone/DSL on one line will not conflict with each other if the phone line has a filter on .

I would get rid of her but she has a dx7590 so she can't be that bad.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:16 AM   #2

S-I-G-HHHHH! And we see life go on in a little town called Peyton Place!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:28 AM   #3

It might be easier to just set up a wireless connection. You can buy USB wireless devices from newegg (newegg.com) for pretty cheap, and wireless routers too. Anyway, my two cents. That makes it easier if you have a laptop too, just wander the house, sit on the couch and surf Steves Forums
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:13 AM   #4

Thnaks W.B.

But how would that work?

Will that take the place of a long Eithernet wire from the p.c. to the dsl modem or the long distance from the dsl modem to the phone jack in the wall?

Will I still need any dsl filters?

BiLL

Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:59 AM   #5

I would call up your internet provider and ask them, but you should be able to plug in the wireless whereever you want, and then have a radius of a few hundred feet around it to access the internet (easily the size of most houses). So you can put it right at the phone jack, and put a wireless card in your computer. It's a long somewhat complicated process. More in the steps required than the computer skills required. Call your provider, and they should be able to tell you what you need, since it varies by company and house.
-Will
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

Check because some providers will do the hookup for you!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:45 PM   #7

Thanks but it seems to be a $10.00 solution to a $1.00 problem. We found a place that has a long ethernet wire for $20.00 (Radio Shack wants $60.00)

BiLL

Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:54 PM   #8

The only thing better about wireless is if you have laptops. if all you have is a desktop, don't worry about it and buy the longer wire. best of luck :evil: