Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:39 AM   #21

I know you didn't and was just kidding around with you!! We here on this forum have been inundated with three types since the 850 was released.

Type one: The detracters who obviously don't like Kodak and have never owned one and probably are shills for a different brand trying their best to put down what they fear may cut into their market. They never post anything and only have bad to say about the camera.

Type two: The ones that bought it and thought it would be as easy to figure out as a point and shoot camera. Quite often it was not their first choice and therfore they are never going to be happy no matter what it can do. Some are just so lazy they don't even try shooting hundreds and hundreds of shots to learn the camera. I'm still learning the DX6490 as simple as it is 5000 photos later!

Type three: these are the ones where I wish I knew more about the P850 so I could help them. They are trying hard to learn the camera and seriously want help. These are the folks I wish everyone who owns a P850 would try to help. I can't and you folks can. So my plea is for all 850 owners to help each other. In teaching and sharring you will learn!

Nuff sed!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:46 PM   #22

What about the forth type? The smartarse.

I laugh so much when I see someone saying "This camera c**p, I'm getting a DSLR"
The margin for error is much higher with the SLR kit.

P850 pics to follow...
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:09 PM   #23

Those kinda' fall into the type two heading. The ones that didn't get exactly what they wanted and instead of trying to learn the camera they have they pine away day after day with the" poor pitiful me I have to put up with this c#$p camera".!!! I am waiting for that unbiased and honest review of the P850 from you!!

Dawg
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:48 AM   #24

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Type one: The detracters who obviously don't like Kodak and have never owned one and probably are shills for a different brand trying their best to put down what they fear may cut into their market. They never post anything and only have bad to say about the camera.

Nuff sed!

Dawg
I agree with Dawg.

However, just a few additions..

TYPE ONE (addendum)

Thosewho havemadea number of posts, but only recently begin posting in a particular forum (Kodak). Those whoappear seemingly knowledableabout photography (as seen in the other posts) that they wouldhave done enough research beforehand and determine if a certain model (p850) would meet their (specific) needs (well not all cases). Thosewhohave (or claim to) bought and thoroughly tested a particular model, then laterbeginsflaming a thread with the samepeople who try to help (other users there). Those who have started thread(s) aboutselling something (quickly voicing a negative opinion about it), and later resulting in that thread being deleted (forviolation of forum rules).

hmm, I think that might be just aboutit...

:angry:

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:10 AM   #25

My case has been proven without typing a word...thank you!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:00 AM   #26

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I know you didn't and was just kidding around with you!! We here on this forum have been inundated with three types since the 850 was released.

Type one: The detracters ....

Type two: The ones that bought it and thought it would be as easy to figure out...

Type three: these are the ones where I wish I knew more about the P850...
Type four: The ones that bought, know how to use it, etc.

Maybe I have an advantage have shot with a 35mm SLR most of my life, but I find the P850 to be very easy to use even in full manual. If you don't know what shutter speed and aperture do and you really don't want to know then the P850 probably isn't for you. If you want lightning fast shot to shot capability get a dSLR.

The P850 isn't perfect, I haven't found any camera in my price range that is. I do think it is better than all the others in its price range.

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:33 AM   #27

You are right Ken. I did leave them out. I apologise profusely! And must agree with both you and TechGeek! Goofas I'm from Ala. and a number of my ancestors fought for the South in the Civil war. But using that flag ,which is really the battle flag of the state of Va. Can be insulting to some folks. Just a suggestion.

Dawg
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:17 PM   #28

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I'm not sure which category/type I fit into... I did B&W 35mm photography for several years with an ancient German SLR (Exacta VX 2b). I then used a basic all manual Minolta SLR. Now, after being out of photography for over 15 years, I'm using this Kodak P850 as a learning tool and a stepping stone into digital photography. I only use it for boring real estate photos, but I think the camera is great and exceeds all my expectations. Maybe later on down the road I'll get a high end DSLR.... maybe not.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:00 PM   #29

I hope Texas is OK. By the way; I was attacked by a Rotweiler as a kid and find them a symbol of aggression, hate and violence. I AM Offended by YOUR avitar. You should really be more sensitive. I am out of here..............:?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:57 PM   #30

Since we're type-casting (I think that we're on #6):

Type 6:
Those who own the camera, know very well what they are doing, but cannot overcome the following inherent limitations despite their abilities and experience.

*Soft images and lower than average resolution
* Smearing of fine low-contrast detail
* Focus very slow and inaccurate in low light and at long end of zoom; Manual focus is not a viable option
* Focus errors at long end of zoom
* Camera has to refocus with even the smallest zoom shift - can take a couple of seconds
* Over-aggressive noise reduction at ISO 200+
* Very noisy at ISO 400, very little fine detail
* TIFF writing locks up the camera
* Macro mode is horrid
* Occasional auto white balance problems
* Color shift at ISO 400

The above limitations may not be important to some, and in those cases the 850 remains a viable option.
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote