Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:26 AM   #1

Are the SCN modes settings always the same? Is there any place where I could find those settings already written down or should I go the long way and shoot the same pic. in all modes to get the settings? But then again, are those settings always the same?

I have noticed that eventhough I am shooting Manual now, most of the timeget best results(of course) when I set in Auto.

Besides the fun part of setting a pic yourself, and learning (which I started already) is there a reason why should I try to go Manual instead of using Auto all the time? Those features are there to be used right...? How do you use them to your advantage but have fun with Manual at the same time, is that even possible?

Is it that once I "master" the Manual then the other settings become "obsolete"? Is it obvious that I am too new doing this :lol:? There has to be a good reason out there, please enlighten me as I haven't crossed that "treshold" yet.

very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:26 AM   #2

Crafty-

Most P-850 users begin in Auto, graduate, to P or Program, and the move on to Manual as they gain more experience. Just my experience.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

The scene modes are kinda like Auto and manual combined. I can only speak for the DX6490 as that is what I have and I only have three modes to play with! The sports mode will try to give you the highest shutter speed for the available light. This is done for sports events or children playing where movement blur could be a problem. But unlike Auto mode where the camera will only let you adjust manually the exposure compensation and the camera sets everything else even changeing the ISO for you. In Sports mode you can set the ISO and the exposure compensation manually. In the next mode Portrait mode the camera sets the shutter speed at a much slower speed since you would normally be shooting a still object. Here again it balances the shutter speed and the arperture automatically but allows you to adjust the exposure compensation and the ISO manually! Hope this helps. I know you have a lot of Modes to choose from and they are really there to automate your photography. Just try some from time to time and see which you like. Out of the three I have available the sports mode is the one I use. I go Auto about half of the time, Pasm a quarter of the time and sports mode a quarter of the time!! You just have to pick the ones you like and use them. Try this, Turn the camera on and put it in a mode. Doesn't matter which just pick one. Be sure the lens cap is removed. Now see what you can change in that mode and see what moves up or down when you change something. Then go to Auto and do the same thing. Now you will start to understand the difference! Some things can be adjusted in Modes that can't be changed or adjusted manually in Auto. They are similar but different! It may just be the old man in me but to me the P850 has too many modes. I get sensory overload just thinking about all them modes!! LOLOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4

Believe me, is not the old man in you. I get overwhlemed by all of those modes and I am a 29 year old female :lol: Thanks for always trying to help me.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

Your always welcome!

Dawg
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:25 PM   #6

Crafty, the other day I took about 50 shots in snow scene mode. The settings changed as the sky went from sunny to cloudy. They don't remain the same all the time. Also want to add that the snow scene mode did a rather good job

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:43 PM   #7

Thak you very much. I figured so.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:20 AM   #8

There you are again Dan bragging about that snowscene mode. Keep it up and I'll have to drive to your house and use your camera in Snow scene mode just so's I can say I've done so!! LOLOL

Dawg

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:43 PM   #9

Dawg, you're more than welcome to come and I'll be glad to let you use my camera too..You may even find a surprise waitin for ya

Dan

Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:44 PM   #10

Oh yeah, almost forgot...took that one in SNOW SCENE MODE:G

Dan