Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1

I went ahead and ordered the lens adapter from Kodak but I wonder if I needed to. I am set on 3 filters for now UV, Polarizer and Gray something something (ask Dawg)

Anyways, if I go with Cokin (which I like the most so far) I can use up as 3-5? filters at the same time, is that possible with the others?

I am waiting for the adapter to arrive before making any more purchases. I was thinking of taking my camera down to Ritz and select there or come here and ask again in the meantime :lol: Do they carry Cokin or anything similar? Is there anything worth trying there? I've been in there only once looking for a tripod, their selection was almost non-existent so I left the storein less than 5 minutes.

Dawg: Did you have to buy any extra adapter for your filters? If I go that route, I wonder if there are any other pieces I need.

I am afraid that since I am soooo new to this I will be told/asked to buy stuff I don't really need.

very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:54 PM   #2

You can buy round filters that screw right on to the adapter and you can stack a lot of them one on top of the other. The first one you should get is a UV filter or a Skylite (sometimes only says sky on them). They are two different kinds but do almost the same thing. The UV filter just filters out the UV rays and help shooting on partly cloudy and overcast days as well as help some on overly sunny days as well. The skylite is a pinkish colored filter that helps with some objectionable bluish colors in some outside photography as well as doing the same as the UV. Just make a choice as one is about as good as another. I wouldn't go for the Cokin set until I got the UV or skylite filter and used it for a while to get used to the way they go on and off. I keep mine on almost all the time. I remove it to get low light shots and indoor photos with the flash! B+W is a very good brand to get. You can order them online from Kodak or B&Hphotovideo.com! I don't know what Ritz has in stock but I've not been impressed by their store personnel and the same with Wolf photo! Another brand you can get is the tiffen brand. I use a Tiffen Sky 1-A all the time. I got a used one from B&Hphotovideo.com for about 6 dollars. Tiffen is not as good a quality as the B+H but the price is usually less than half and I can't tell the difference in photos taken with either! Do this then we will talk Cokin filters!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:56 PM   #3

Crafty, be aware that many of the cheaper(off-brand) round filters do not have front threads and therefore cannot be stacked together. And even some name brands as well...If you plan on stacking filters, make sure they have both front and rear threads

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:41 PM   #4

Great advice! Thank you both. I am so glad you are here to answer my questions.
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:21 AM   #5

Again you're very welcome!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote