Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:10 PM   #1

I've been familiarizing myself with the P850 I recently purchased and noticed something I find a bit peculiar. When shooting in burste modes (first 5, last 5, exposure bracketing) it seems the file size drops dramaticly. I usually shoot in 4.5mp (3:2) Fine and am used to file sizes in the high 2mb range. When shooting in burste modes the file size drops to well under 1mb (usually around 700k). Why is this? Is it so the camera can write to the card fast enough to keep up with the burstes? Is there any way to disable this "feature" or is it a design flaw/bug?

Thanks
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:26 PM   #2

I have no idea but I am very glad to know, thanks!
very crafty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Has anyone else atleast observed/confirmed this? I'm really at a loss. The resolution stays the same, it's as if the compression is bumped up when you use any of the burste modes, I'm guessing to allow the files to be written fast enough for the burste to continue.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:04 PM   #4

I have no Idea but will keep you bumped up until someone can answer!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:25 PM   #5

If you are bracketing, are the later pictures darker than the first?

If so, it's a simple case of lower numbers in the pixels to make the file.
Black is 0,0,0. White is 255,255,255. Anything inbetween is a mix.
The darker the image is, the less numbers are needed. Data is only read in 0 or 1's, so that can save space.

I'll run a test with my P850 over the weekend.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:29 PM   #6

It's not just bracketed pictures, and it's not just dark pictures. Regular single-exposure shots are around 2.8mb and shots taken in any kind of burste mode (bracket 3, bracket 5, first 5, last 5... haven't tried time lapse)are around 700k.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:53 PM   #7

Hang tight Steven! Paul will do as he says no doubt.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:42 PM   #8

Greetings,

Nice camera, Steve, lots of features and options.

The burst feature is one of those that can do a lot of things. The option will let you set it for several resolutions and they can be reviewed on the following web page. As you will see you cannot use the RAW or TIFF setting with burst but you can in other resolutions. In the 4.5 MP mode you should be able to get 5 at fine, 8 at standard, and 13 at basic.

The file size of the resulting images should be per the mode chosen. The quantity of burst depends on the quality mode and the rate of compression. For information on picture compression, review the chart in the manual on this subject. If you review the Index, you will find a listing for 'Burst Capacity.' At the size you noted, it appears you have your camera set to 4.5 Basic.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:18 PM   #9

I have the camera in 4.5mp FINE mode. When I take single exposure shots the file sizes are appropriate (high 2mb range). When I switch to burste modes (and make no other changes) the file sizes drop to the 700k range. The compression setting is still listed as FINE in the menu even when set to a burste mode but the files produced come out at a file size much lower than appropriate for 4.5mp FINE. Can another P850 owner verify if this is happening on their camera?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:03 PM   #10

Greetings Steve,

Well lets start from the beginning.

I have a P850 here and am not getting what you have noted. So, I suggest that you turn on the camera, set itto Auto, and press the menu button. When the menu appears press the toggle switch to the right so the tools tab is active. Under that menu press the toggle switch 'up' three times to find and select the 'Reset' selection. Press reset. When that process is complete, return the camera to normal.

Next, turn on the camera to Auto and select the Menu button. Leave it in the 'Camera' mode. Select the 'Picture Type' and press the toggle switch in the center to activate. On the next screen toggle to the 4.5 setting and press the center toggle again. Toggle to File Type setting and press the the center toggle to select compression mode. On that screen move the toggle to 'Fine JPG' and press the center toggle to select. Press the menu button.

With these settings made, and in the auto mode, press the 'Drive' button and select the first or last burst preference (let me know what it is) and take a series of pictures. Transfer these images to your system and note their size.

Do the same as above for the two other compression options, and when completed, note their size. Make sure you are taking pictures of the same subject under the same lighting.

Let me know the results of this brief test. We can move ahead from there. I believe you may have settings made that are driving a smaller file size, but if not, this will reveal any issues that there may be with your camera.

Look forward to talking to you, Steve,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote