Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:00 PM   #1

My wife bought me a Kodak Z740 for Christmas and needless to say I have been taking a lot of really cool pictures.

Now I would like to learn how to use it so I can take close ups of things for sell in the on-line auction world. Does any one know of a good web site for that specific type of information? I also was wondering if I would need any additional equipment for my camera to accomplish this type of task? I am a total newbie when it comes to digital photography.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Joel :?
beachsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:08 PM   #2

Welcome aboard, both you and I have sweet wives! My wife alsogave me a Z740 for christmas (check out my photos I have posted), your in the right place to learn and enjoy your new Z740..just get out and shoot some pictures and place them in an album on

http://www.photobucket.com/

and you can then post here for us and you to enjoy. I'm still learning too, just shoot some photos, post them and ask questions, and read and reread the manual over and over.

Once again welcome, and I'm sure others here can answer any and all questions (I'll take the easy ones LOL) that you may have.
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

The no. 1 thing to get first is a tripod. Wal-mart has them for around 30 bucks that will do fine. Then you need a place to shoot the items. A neutral gray base and backdrop will do the job nicely. Next you need good lighting. Flourescent or tungsten will work as long as you set the light balance for the one you are using. We'll try this the inexpensive way. Don't use the flash if you don't have to as this will throw reflections on the Items you are trying to photograph. Set the camera to Macro and move the camera in and out to get your focus. Set the Iso to100 to start with and see how they turn out. If too dark move the iso up to 200 and try again. Oh yeah. Use P mode or manual mode to shoot these. I like manual as I can adjust the F/stop to get the depth of field I want. You can try them in auto mode but you lose the adjustments to get it just right! That's the way I would start anyway but someone else may have a different or better way. I'm not always right>>> just handsome!! LOL Keep shooting and asking those questions. And welcome to the insanity!! Not me Everybody else!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:48 PM   #4

Hello Joel and welcome to the forum. When I first joined the forum I didn't know anything about cameras but being in this forum I feel I can hold my own now. I don't have a fancy camera, I own the CX7530 and I've learned alot here. So you hang in there and ask alotof questions like your doing now. There's alot of good and knowledgeable peoplehere, someone like the Dawg or anyone else from the Kodak Krew will answer your questions and you to will learn a great deal. Good luck and take lots of pictures and post post post.

Mr Blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5

Welcome, Joel....follow Dawg's advice, should work just fine

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:56 PM   #6

Joel please let us know how you do with it!

Dawg
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:49 PM   #7

Greetings Beachsands,

Your camera is a nice one and popular. To find details on it quickly, go to the following site and choose to review Specifications. Among other things, you will find the following:

Also, the camera has a:

http://www.kodak.com/go/takegreatpictures[/b]

If you are going to sell items of a similar size, you can prepare a background (different colors, patterns, etc. to fit the item), set up lights at ratios you will have tested for best results, and know the right camera settings if needed. So, when you want to get something prepared for sale, simply place it in the setup and match the right camera settings. Things should always come out with similar quality.

http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

There are accessory lenses etc. for your camera that might help in some situations, i.e. if you were selling reflective objects, i.e. jewelry. A polarizer will help reduce specular highlights. A neutral density filter will help you control exposure if there is too much light.

Anyway, enjoy your new camera you have an excellent model.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:05 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the replys ! I haven't been ignoring you, ever since I put up the original post I have been under the weather with the creeping crud.

Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle in the next several days.

I can't wait to use some of the suggestions that were offered.

I will indeed post often and let each one know how things are working.

Thanks, Joel
beachsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:59 PM   #9

Joel sorry to hear you were not feeling good, hopefully you are doing better and are ready to start shooting it up. Can't wait to see some pics from the mighty z740.

mr blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:06 PM   #10

Same here Joel. Looking forward to some of those photos!

Dawg