Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

I just bought an external flash for my p850. Whenever I select "External Only" in the camera settings, the built in flash still opens and fires overexposing my shot.

Disabling the flash from the flash menu doesn't seem to give me the desired results since it changes the shutter settings, etc..

Anyone else run into remotely similar?

-scoob8000
scoob8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2

scoob-

Which external flash are you using with your P-850? Is it the Kodak one?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:22 PM   #3

Unless you are using the P-20 flash from Kodak you'll have to use the manual mode in the P850 to use an external flash. There should be instructions with the flash showing what settings to use or the settings may be on hte flash itself. For instance my Vivitar flash recommends a shutter speed of 1/100 of a second. The aperture depends on what ISO I am using. If I set the ISO on the camera to 100 and set the ISO on the flash at 100 the chart on the back shows that I am to set the aperture to f/4.

If you are using the P-20 from Kodak then the flash and cameraselects these for you.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

I picked up a generic bounce flash from Ritz. Although I'm greatly considering returning it and buying the P20 from Kodak after what I've been reading.

Exactally, there is a chart on the back that indicates what f-stop to use for your distance/iso cobination.

I assume the only way to keep the onboard flash from fireing is to set it off from the flash menu. I've been fumbling in vain with the "External Only" menu option. I'm guessing that option works with the P20?

Thanks!

scoob8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:20 PM   #5

Scoob-

Return it to Ritz! You will get a much better flash from Kodak that will work WITH the P-850, rather than against it.

MT
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:30 AM   #6

Scoob-

Another option would be to add a slave flash. That would extend the range/reach of your onboard camera flash.

MT
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:35 PM   #7

scoob8000 wrote:
Quote:
I picked up a generic bounce flash from Ritz. Although I'm greatly considering returning it and buying the P20 from Kodak after what I've been reading.

Exactally, there is a chart on the back that indicates what f-stop to use for your distance/iso cobination.

I assume the only way to keep the onboard flash from fireing is to set it off from the flash menu. I've been fumbling in vain with the "External Only" menu option. I'm guessing that option works with the P20?

Thanks!
If ease of use is your main concern then you may be better with the P-20 flash. From what I've read on the Dpreview forums there isn't even a problem with the onboard flash and P-20 firing at the same time since the camera and flash "talk" to each other and decide on how bright to fire the flash.

Since I used a 35mm SLR for more than 20 years using a standard flash is second nature to me, something I'm used to doing. Also the flash units I had from my 35mm camera have a cycle time that is MUCH faster than that of the P-20. According to the specs for the P-20 the cycle time between flashes is 10 seconds. For some of the photography I do 10 seconds is ussually 9 seconds too many. My Vivitar and Focus flash heads have cycle times fast enough to keep up with the P850's burst mode. I'm guessing that the flash you got from Ritz is a Quantaray. If so then it also has a very fast cycle time.

As for turning the on-board flash off I rarely use the setup menu. It is much faster for me to press and hold the flash button and use the jog dial to select the flash setting I want to use, then release the flash button.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:22 PM   #8

I just fired up my P850 with the flash that I use on my Nikon kit.

What you have to do is shoot in Manual and turn the flash off in the menu, everytime you shoot a shot, the gun will fire, but the pop-up flash will remain in place.

Work out the guide number at ISO100 (look at the instructions), divide the apeture from that guide number and that's your working distance.
(From the P20 specs, guide rating of 40m at ISO100, at f/4, that's about 10m worth of coverage).

1/60 is a good speed to work at.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:06 PM   #9

I just got my p20 last night. wow it is great. and for $106 shiped it was a deal. Take yours back and pick up the p20.
Taz2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:57 PM   #10

Taz -

Where did you find the P-20 flash for $106?

MT