Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

I have had this camera a few months now and find the still picture quality extremely good. But I am wondering if the video on my camera is typical. I bought this camera primarily because I need to infrequently video some of our group ballroom dancing activities that require zoom while filming, and Kodak was the only small digital camera that had this function. On my camera the difference between 640X480 and 320X240 is very small and completely overshadowed by other "problems". By the way, there is a slight whizz audible when zooming but generally it is not very noticeable if there is sound being recorded, as there always is in my case. Although the video picture is near perfect if there is no camera panning, no zooming, and no focus changing, when any one of these things occur the picture greatly degrades. When zooming there is a very noticeable darkening and brightening of the picture as the zoom engages and disengages. This also happens when the autofocus changes focus as the subjects move. But the most annoying thing is the blurring of the picture if the camera is panned. the blurring doesn't destroy the picture but everything is fuzzy until the panning stops, even very slow panning. I have tried every combination of functions I can such as autofocus on or off, image stabilization on or off, 640 vs. 320, various ISO settings, nothing seems to change these problems. Does anyone else have these problems or can offer any suggestions?
Cheers,
Russ LaRose
[email protected]
RussLaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:55 AM   #2

Just sharing my minor guesses:

1. Panning is a major challenge for all DC to autofocus during video capture.

2. For playing back the video, try VLC player (www.videolan.org) instead of Quicktime. Much more smooth video than QT, especially for large movements.

3. Darkening during Zoom - bcoz the DC has to re-estimate the exposure e.g. when you zoom in the DC **sudden** from a larger/brighter, to a smaller/dimmer area, it takes time for the exposure to increase to compensate for the decrease in lighting.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3

And also try upgrade to firmware 1.0.7 which claims to have improved video quality.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote