Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:38 PM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TD-

Think twice about the Kodak P-850. I have been very disappointed with mine.

MT

I`m waiting to see Paul`s unbiased review, there has been a lot of negative feedback about the 850.
I`d never part with my 6490,but I don`t think my next purchase will be a kodak :O

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:09 PM   #12

TD, Paul has wished he hadn't gotten rid of his 6490 many times. It is still one of the better long zooms out there! When is Kodak going to address the issues with the 850?? I still wonder if it is poor R&D testing or poor production standards. I really can't see a company putting all their marbles so to speak in a camera that performed poorly during R&D!! Poor production standards can be a problem that the research dept. cannot control. I know there are many 850's that do a pretty good job and then there are some that just don't do well. Makes me think somebody in production is not paying attention to quality standards and is letting some batches go through with out the quality demanded for a good product! Hate to see Kodak going that way! Maybe Ron Baird could find some answers and reply! Hey Ron!!! Are you out there???? You are slowly losing your customer base with inaction!!! Ya'll wake up now!! Meanwhile I'll go looking for another 6490 for a spare!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:57 PM   #13

Thanks for that reply Dawg,its what I was thinking but I didn`t know how to put it.:G

In the UK the 6490 is still holding its price ,in some stores it costs more than its replacements, what does that tell ya....

TD

I never said I`d never buy kodak again,it seems problems need to be addressed before I`d part with my hard earned in the future .I`m perfectly happy with my present kodaks.

sorry to stray off topic,,but the title of this post seems apt for my next camera.!!
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:42 PM   #14

The firmware update is less than two weeks away Ed, this is the reason I'm holding back with my little review.

When I get the update, I will go and shoot the same shots again.
But the real funny thing is when the camera is in auto, things aren't that bad. It's when ISO50 and a PASM setting is used things start to go wrong.

I do miss the 6490 sometimes, but at the moment most of my photos are being shot with b/w film. The P850 problem isn't that serious to me as I have some backup.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:16 PM   #15

Like it or not, IMHO, the Kodak P-850, in its current form, is a total turkey. And believe me, I am not lacking in camera skills. I teach digital cameras to about 10,000+ folks every year. This P-850 camera cannot consistently focus a picture sharply. I have stored the camera, awaiting a firmware update.

In contrast, the V-530 and the new V-570 are very, very capable cameras that are priced correctly. I have integrated the V-530 and V-570 already into my teaching syllabus. So, that they are getting the recognition they deserve.

Am I turned off by Kodak cameras? Not at all! I already have a P-880 on order. Kodak has moved ahead very nicely with their new cameras. Yes, the P-850 is a very unfortuante exception. I am banking on the possibility that Kodak will honestly work to correct their glaring problems with the P-850.

In the meantime, I will continue to use my DX-6490, its great!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:38 AM   #16

Paul,

Have you tried shooting in Auto mode?
fgreenhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:58 AM   #17

fgreenhut wrote:
Quote:
Paul,

Have you tried shooting in Auto mode?

I have Fred, look three posts up.