Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:25 PM   #1

The Kodak P-880 arrived this morning, and because I had a battery charged and ready, I was able to slip a fully charged battery into the P-880 immediately and start taking photos.

In the extreme, 24mm, ultra wide angle lens position when taking a photo in the landscape mode, you have to be very aware of any vertical lines that will show some distortion. I found that to be less of a problem when using the P-880 in the portrait mode.

My sample photo for you is a vertical or portrait mode shot. It was handheld and the on camera flash was used. I was very pleased with the sharpness and the amount of detail that was recorded in the .jpg image. Even under 100% enlargement, the image held together well.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:49 PM   #2

Here is a second photo. It was handheld and takenusing the on camera flash. It produced good detail and typical Kodak colors.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3

I think No. two's a beauty MT. Can't wait to see and hear more about the 880!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:17 AM   #4

I'm glad to see your faith in a P series Kodak has returned and now that P20 flashgun has found it's proper place.

Any lens under 28mm, will start distorting verticals, but I use a 19mm lens on my film body and it's my absolute favourite lens because it does distort.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5

Paul-

You are so correct. I do like Kodak cameras. If Kodak would just finish the firmware update on the P-850, I could get that camera back in operation again. That would be nice.

The P-880 has surprised me with it ability to capture fine detail. We have had a week of constant rain so ultra wide angle landscapes have not been an option as yet.

Paul, you raise a good point, perhaps I should not be determined to keep all of the verticals in an ultra wide angle landscape in perfect order. If there is a rain break, I shall immediately be posting some samples.

MT
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6

BigDwag-

Yep, the P-880 has really been an amazing experience. I had not expected it to be as good as it is, after my experience with the P-850. I was pleased enough with its performance that I went ahead and ordered the dedicated flash as well. It is within pennies of $150 at Kodak.com, but I managed to find it at $103 at www.pagecomputer.com.

Now all I need is a nice break in the weather, so I can get outside.

MT
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:15 PM   #7

The rain tappered out, but we still have dense fog, so I am trapped inside again. I have been experimenting with a flash diffuser on the P-880. Here are the results so far.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:20 PM   #8

You might check to see if PTLens has included the 880 in their data base. All of my cameras are included in the download I got about 6 months ago, but I think they regularly update it. The price is right – it is free. http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html

I have the Photoshop plug-in and run a batch action, but there is a stand-alone version. The software reads the EXIF and adjusts according to the focal length of the shot. You still have problems with verticals, but not nearly as much. I can use the skew in Photoshop to straighten most things without distortion after PTLens takes the barrel distortion out.

The diffuser works well. I take the lazy approach and bounce off a low white ceiling when I can.

Have you seen the Kodak V570? Looks like a great little camera for real estate people.

Your weather reminds me of a funny article in Time magazine a few years back. Oregon was trying to abate the hippie migration from California. They put posters all around California with a picture of a dreary scene with the caption: You can tell when it is summer in Oregon because the rain is warmer

Edit: Just found the profiles page and the snobs haven't included any Kodaks. Maybe now that the 880 and 570 are out they will make profiles for them. You might check from time to time: http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html

If I had the 880 I would probably spring for the PT GUI. It is 57 Euros and corrects distortions and verticals a lot better than Photoshop.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:03 PM   #9

slipe-

Welcome to the Kodak Folder. We have lots of fun here.

Yes, I have both the P-880 and the V-570. So that makes the PTPen even more logical and worthwhile.

The flash diffuser shot was done with a simple piece of a gallon milk jug, but it worked rather nicely, I thought.

MT
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:11 PM   #10

That's why I won't get rid of my honker big Vivitar Zoom flash. It came with two types of difuser and will zoom in and out changing the flash lens when you zoom the camera to accomodate a wide angle or zoom photo. Always worked well with my 35mm cameras and will once again don a camera of mine! Just need a synch cable!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote