Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:59 PM   #1

We are still being hammered with rain. None the less, between storms I attempted to nab a Kodak P-880 wide angle shot. I thinlk that this was too hurried, but the rain drops were beginning to fall again. Ugh!

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:41 PM   #2

MT, this is an awesome very beautiful capture. Im glad that you were able to get out.
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3

I see some blue peeking through there...

Nice shot.

Tracy
dejavudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4

A nice 'un MT!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:52 AM   #5

MT,
why did you shoot that photo at iso 400 and 1/3236. Even with the above extreme downsizing noise is very visible.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:51 AM   #6

kassandro-

I really did not plan it that way. It was a very stormy day, and we had a momentary break in the storm so I grabbed the camera and ran outside. I shot the photo without checking the camera settings as I normally do.

So I am the one at fault due to the hurry. I apologize for the noise.

Tracy- yes, there was a bit of blue, but it was totally momentary. It was raining again in less than 20 seconds, as I scooted back inside.

MT

Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:39 PM   #7

kassandro-

The sun broke through at about 0900, so I can re-supply you with a proper sample photo.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:01 PM   #8

very nice shot again MT....so lets educate Silver a little....refering to the post of noise, which I have seen mentioned in some other posts...what is the noise, and how do you tell there is noise, Im listening and I dont hear it...LOL... can it be found in the EXIF? Or is that just a term used for the quality of the shot?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:55 PM   #9

Silver-

Please don't feel badly, many people find noise (electronic noise) difficult to detect in a photo. However, for starters, let's define what noise really is. Whenever, you raise the ISO setting on your digital camera, you are making the CCD more sensitive to light. In the process of doing that, your digital camera can take a photo using LESS light, but it will also begin to show/start showing some of the electronic interference than begins when you escalate/raise the ISO setting.

There is also chromatic noise, which can also show up in your photo. You can physically detect noise in a photo by using a noise reduction software program such as Noise Ninja, or NeatImage. As you run the photo through those programs they will actually show you the areas with noise in them.

If you have a really good/trained eye you can actual see the noise. However, this will take some time to get your eyes used to seeing noise. Now for the sake of comparison, here is the original photo processed in Neat Image. The noise was in the clouds in the upper center of the photo.

The moral of the story is this: Use the lowest ISO setting that will give you the lowest shutter speed and the aperture that you desire. The photo that I took this morning at 0900 was taken at ISO 50. You can actually see the differences in the first and second photos in this thread.

I didn't mean to get so long winded. I hope this helps.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:14 PM   #10

Thanks for the info MT.