Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:02 PM   #1

Because I have not shown you any full zoom shots with the Kodak P-880, I was out shooting some examples this morning. I took my KM 5D equipped with a Tamron 28-200mm lens along with me.

The result was very interesting. Because the Tamron lens could reach out further, it got the better photo perhaps. You be the judge.

Mind you, I am not disappointed because the P-880 does so well in every other mode.

The first photo is from the P-880.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2

Now here is the KM 5D with the attached Tamron 28-200mm taking the same scene at the 200mm setting just about 30 seconds after the first photo.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

I considered the difference for awhile, and debated that it could be an anomoly. So, I re-took the photo with the Penta DS equipped with a Pentax 50-200mm lens, set to the 200mm position. The result though different, was about the same as the KM 5D. Here is that sample.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:52 PM   #4

It is quite interesting to compare the first two pictures. Although the P880 was used with 1/1600 and the KM 5D with only 1/320 the KM 5D picture is much sharper (look at the trees on the slope). This is very obvious despite heavy downsizing. The P880 lense can't be that poor. Thus it must be a focus problem or motion blur - even at 1/1600. This proves the importance of an image stabiliser and that the extended zoom range (compared with my CP 8400) is pretty useless. The P880 picture was taken with the zoom at 140 mm, while the KM 5D was used with 150 mm. Taking into account the higher resolution of the P880 sensor, about the same amout of pixels was used for alk the fine details in both pictures.
The colors of the KM 5D pic are much better. Compared with the P880 pic it looks like the KM 5D was used with a pol filter. This is really very surprising. Also the P880 is beginning to show some noise at iso 200. It must be quite visible at full resolution.
Both cameras use a very different white balance (both cameras use automatic white balance). While the KM 5D is correct, the P880 is very redish, which emphasizes also the clouds on the horizont. The P880 is simply cheating. It seems to think that warm redish colors are always better.
All in all a quite disappointing comparison for the P880.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:30 PM   #5

kassandro-

Just to be sure, I will re-take the photo tomarrow morning with the P-880 on a tripod. That way we can eliminate the motion issue. All of the photos have been handheld until I take this next photo.

I will also try getting the WB out of the Auto White Balance position as well.

MT
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:55 PM   #6

I like them all MT but (and Im no pro) I think the second is the best shot for focus and sharpness.
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:34 PM   #7

Too much noise in the sky in the first shot!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:53 PM   #8

Why ISO200 for the P880?
Based on the shutter speed of 1/1600, ISO 50 would have been 1/400, which is well into the safe speed zone for the focal length.

I wish we had that light over here at the moment, focusing the P850 might be easier.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:54 PM   #9

BigDwag-

I am sorry to say that the first shot is from the Kodak P-880. However, wait before making a final decision. I will be re-taking that photo with the P-880 on a tripod once again tomorrow morning. To see if I can obtain a better image. And yes, by popular demand I will be re-taking the photo at ISO 50. Any more requests?

MT
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:14 AM   #10

Nice shots Mt , I like the second pic. best the colors are amazing.

mr blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote