Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:26 AM   #21

Sorry- I jus saw that you have CS2. Have you figured it out yet? Does it do basic editing as well? I don't have CS2, so pardon me if this is a silly question.

Tracy
dejavudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:30 AM   #22

Photoshop CS2 and/or Photofilter and/or Easyshare 2.0.
ken68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:32 AM   #23

For basic editing Photofilter is great and easy to use, so is Easyshare. Both are free. I am still learning CS2, a long way to go.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:51 AM   #24

You should go to the Kodak site and update your easyshare for free to the 5? version? I believe it is.

Picasa2 (free from Google) is an excellent free program and very easy to use. Do you do any art? Layering and such? Serif PhotoPlus 6 has some great tools. It is also free.

Tracy
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:54 AM   #25

Ken- just so you can see- here is one that I did with that Serif program.

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:09 AM   #26

I just checked my Easyshare Software, mine is 5.2, sorry for posting the wrong version #. Late at night after work and I was half asleep when I posted.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:03 AM   #27

It is interesting that this topic should come up today. Today and tomorrow I will be lecturing on photo editing software again to two of our university classes. In a nutshell, there are lots of free and low cost photo editing software available. Photofilter, Picassa, and Easy Share are excellent examples.

It sort of comes down to analyzing what you want to do. Adobe's Photoshop CS2 is certainly the top of the shop in both the quality of manipulation and the quanity of things that it can do. However, most camera users are hesitant tospend around $700 for software to manipulate the photos from their camera that they spent $300 to $500 on originally.

Therefore, photo editing software in the around or near $100 range is faster selling and much more popular. That price range includes programs like Adobe Photo Shop Elements 4.0, Paint Shop Pro 10.0, and MS Digital Image Suite 2006, as well as several others.

When choosing software, the ease of use and the ease of learning to use all of the many things that your photo editing software can do are important factors. CS2 is not only expensive, but a very large and very complex software program, if you are going to really use all of its features. Most users find that there is about a3 to 5 year learing curve to achieve full proficiency with the program, unless they are spending full time learning to use CS2, or taking several of the manyclasses that are offered to assist in learning CS2.

The best software is software that you like a lot, and find easy to use in your everyday photo editing chores because having to think hard or search for a feature that you only use once or twice a year is not much fun.

In an effort to help our students sort of decide on a pathway toward the photo editing software they will use, I will demonstrate and discuss five different photo editing software prorams. That way they will have a better idea of what software can do for them, and they may find themselves "growing through" several programs, as they gain photo editing proficiency.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:10 AM   #28

Excellent advice MT. Being so new to all of this myself, I looked at many editing programs before finally landing on Adobe Elements4. The ones I have tried that have been free 30 day trials, and also the ones I have had the most fun with, have been in exactly the price range you said.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maybe someday CS2, but not this year. Way too advanced for my skills.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tracy
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:57 AM   #29

Well I have some of the excellent free software to use till I get good at CS2. The only reason I want to learn CS2 is because a friend of mine who works in a photolab was able to give me a copy of CS2 that was not being used at his photolab and was a business right off anyways. We trade services once in a while. I keep his computers running properly once and a while and he helps me out with his photolab services once in a while.