Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:31 AM   #11

Joining photos is tricky at best, but in this case the join is too obvious.

I'm currenty in the depths of a Photochop book looking to do the exposure trick, without the halos that come with it.

Nice photo though.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:38 AM   #12

Lose the Logo. Put some sky ,not clouds on the ocean horizon. Be better with on rock feature on the right and the boat on the left!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:19 AM   #13

Be a little bit more patient and press the shutter until the boat reached and filled the space between 2 stacks, and try to shoot at a lower angle (just my personal opinion).
alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:41 AM   #14

Thanks for the comments. It is a photo that I use in the software lecture to point out that the join point of the clouds and the ocean has to be more subtle and feathered. I also use it to point out that the background photo must be absolutely proportional, or even of a bit smaller proportionally than the foreground photo. Finally that any backgrond photo has be very believable and under the same lighting conditions as the foreground photo.

You are very good observers. I think this might verify that the proposed CRITIQUE proposal, only for those that desire it, is most probably workable. Thanks to all of you for taking part in this experiment.

If you would like to do more of these exercises, I have more photos. In my classes I use them to get the students accustomed to analyzing the light very closely in any proposed photo and if they are going to do any post processing additions, they realistically have to begin planning it when they are actually taking the photo.

Was the exercise fun? Would you be willing to integrate the CRITIQUE proposal into our Forum? Did it the exercise help you sharpen your photography skills?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:21 PM   #15

MT.... sure, I like the critique concept, ONLY if the poster requests it. As for me, I probably wouldn't feel qualified to critique anyone's personal artistic expression. But if you have photos of a home you're trying to sell, then I would feel qualified to throw in my two cents.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:35 PM   #16

MT, I didnt post any comments on this shot, I just kind of followed theposts as they came up. I had no idea that the sky was PS added in until it was mentioned. Im so new to this that I didnt feel qualified to critique it, therefore I just watched the others. And in doing that, I learned some. I think this is a good thing.

Possibly as I get a little further along with my experience I can add to the critiqueing.
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:36 PM   #17

Thanks, FB-

I honestly believe that is the spirit of friendliness and co-operation that has so characterized and made the Kodak Forum so unique and what it really is. Thanks a lot ofyour feedback.

MT
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:51 PM   #18

Silver-

I really think that we need to be precise with our words here. Perhaps the word CRITIQUE is not the correct word at all. Perhaps we need another word?

Just as Old Jim asked for help with his action shots of birds this morning, we are helping each other tobetter perfectand to learn that elusive "photographoic skill." The whole idea was this might be a helpeach other,folks. Silver, I am glad that you learned a few things. I sincerely hope that others did as well.

Unfortunately, what I innocently enough, suggested has been now thoroughly demonized and I am, quite frankly, being tarred and feathered by members of this very forum in PM's sent to me. Thesevery brave gentlemen choose not to post their venom in public, least it detract from the image they have lovingly created. Why, oh why, can't we just speak honestly and openly on this forum?Folks, I am speaking out very honestly. I sincerely believe that we should deal with this issue openly with in the forum. I am being made the scapegoat, and I really don't like it at all!

But folks, I will tell you honestly, I am getting tired of being the "bigtarget" in this issue. You know the old saying: why kill the messenger?

MT
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:10 PM   #19

Here is my feelings on the subject.

Ithink everyone should calm down and back up and reflect on what MT has "Suggested". That's the operable word here isn't it! Suggested> Nothing more and nothing less. When is a suggestion here worthy of Bad mannered E-mail?? I like the Idea and for this reason. Quite often I have suggested (here is that word again) That taking a photo a different way or using a different setting might help or improve the photo in the thread. I've pretty much been told to go jump off a cliff or the person in question has given me the cold shoulder from then on. If MT's suggestion is followed then I myself would be more forthcomming with suggestions and be more willing to share insights that I might have. And all it means is if you don't want constructive critisism then don't put critique on the header. But those that do can! Won't change the way you post at all if you don't want the critque. Just post the same way as always and that's that! If you are one who wants real advice on how to do a shot better, (and remember no one and I do mean no one is the God of photography around here) then put critique in the header and folks will try to help. Not boss you around or flame you or belittle your hard work but instead try to give honest opinions and advice in a nurturing and helpful way! I love this forum and the easysharers forum. They have been a grounding point that has kept my spirits up through my own personal trials and tribulations. I've made and kept a lot of good friends here and hope to make many more. Lets all enter into this Idea and SUGGESTION , for a trial period and if it doesn't catch on then so be it. But above all lets stay friends and try to help each other!

Your Good Friend Da Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:59 PM   #20

Been laid up a few days and came in late here:?. Can't a guy lay down for awhile without all hell breakin loose?

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote