Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:46 PM   #11

Dwag,

Why in the heck would I get upset with you? Didn't we just go thru this i na another post? I have also thought of the burst mode but the flash won't recover quickly enough to keep up with the camera. Yep, the sun would help allot but by the time I get home and the birds settle down there is shade on my feeder location. Living in a Mobile Home community there is not allot of space to work with. I envy you and Silver for the wide open spaces you have. I am eventually going to replant my small backyard for the birds but first I have to finish painting the interior of our house or Pat won't let this boy play. I will eventually get a slave flash but for now I am wondering if a constant light source such as a 100 watt or better Halogen bulb would help. I have that now. Did I answer your questions?
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:56 PM   #12

You certainly did and I'm just trying to tiptoe thru tha tulips right now. I was sure you wouldn.t be offended but ......AAAAH the heck with it... You old codger 100 watts won't be enough. Ya need about a 1000 watt halogen do do any good then you need to hope a bird doesn't land on it and become a crispy critter!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:15 AM   #13

Hi there, Jim;

Much of what is discussedabove will help your shot. There is one other thing you may need, though... luck and/or a cooperative bird. The 6490is not ideal for catching a bird in flight. It just can't focus that fast. You've got the camera focused on the feeder, (which is what I would do too) If you could get the bird to approach at the same plane, it would be in focus as well.

You are shooting wide open (which results in a shallow DOF) and at a fairly high zoom, which tends to exaggerate this effect. A smaller aperture might be of help here. It would give you a larger DOF, which might have a better chance of catching the bird in your focal range.

You don't really need 1/1000 sec to capture the effect you are looking for. 1/500 or even 1/250 should be enough to freeze the action. The longer shutter speed would allow you to capture the same exposure at f-7.1 on your 6490 aperture dial. This in itself would go a long way toward bringing the bird into the focal plane. (and decreasing your reliance on luck:-))

By the way, this is called reciprocity.Your exposure of [email protected] 1/1000 sec would be equivalent to:
f5 @ 1/750
f5.6 @ 1/500
f6.3 @ 1/350
f7.1 @ 1/250
etc.
Each of these settings lets in the same amount of light. You are correct in assuming that the wider aperture will allow faster shutter speeds, but the cost is depth of field.
(reciprocity failure occurs at the extreme long or short shutter speeds and results in inaccurate exposures based on otherwise correctly measured readings. Film manufacturers generally print charts so photographers can calculate extreme fast or slow exposures.)

I hope this isn't too rambling here. I sometimes get carried away with myself.

Cheers, and happy shooting,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:36 AM   #14

Hi Tom,

I did not see this as rambling at all. In fact you showed me something I'd entirely missed and that is the focal plane. I have always assumed that keeping the shutter as wide open as possible it would keep the background less intrusive. I never thought it would have the same effect on the subject. Yes I do have the focus set on the feeder and half the time during my session with the birds my finger is pressing halfway down to keep that focus for the quick shot. I will have the opportunity tomorrow afternoonto try all the settings you suggested. Thanks for your input.

Dawg, would it work if a wild Turkey landed on the 1000 watter?

I do agree that repositioning the feeder is in order but as I stated before if I don't learn the technique then the feeder location is of little importance.

Thank you everyone for your help
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:49 AM   #15

Jim you need a baster-- Wal-Mart $4.99. And Tom is right. You'll get all kinds of Ideas when you ask because we are such a helpful tho in large part inexperienced bunch here. Tom is one of the better ones. The DX6490 is hard to get the good focus lock as it is somewhat slow on action shots but it can be done. Just have a pocket full of luck to go with the techniques and skills you develop. Hope you get it and post the results!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote