Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:04 AM   #1

Hello all! Long time no see..life has been very busy..Hope to get back here soon again on a regular basis..things may slow down eventually..lol.I have a chance to sell my 6490 (for a good price) and as the fates have it there are some good sales on Kodak right now.I don't know if I should get the 7950 which is so very similar to my beloved 6490 or the P850 which I have no idea about.Normally I would go thru all the posts and research the 850 but time is a factor and I was hoping if some users could give me an opinion.Has anyone made the jump from one to the other and if so were you happy?I really like my present camera and am hoping for something the same but am unsure if its worth it...but the oppurtunity to get something newer and possibly better at a minimal cost is a rare oppurtunity that I don't want to pass by..:-).I understand there is stabilization with 850..is it that great?..lots of questions too little time..thanks in advance..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:22 AM   #2

I like mine just fine and have gotten some great photos with it.

But it is the first nice camera I have ever owned. I understand MT just bought a P880 from Cosco? I think, at a very good price.

Tracy
dejavudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:30 AM   #3

Stabilization is a good feature. You can handhold with less light.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4

Slipe is correct. IS is a valuable addition, and the P-850 does have it. I have seen some excellent photos from the P-850, however I am personally a bit less than happy with the particular P-850 that I own.

Perhaps Kodak will be able to fix it. It has gone off to them for "re-calibration." A clue perhapsto the sharp focus problem that I am having with the P-880 can be found in the conclusion to the P-880 review at www.dpreview.com.

In the meantime I have been using the P-880 which I got at Costco at a record breaking low price if I receive the promised rebate. The P-880 is a very good camera and it has impressed me. In the next couple of days I am going to do a side by side comparison of shots from the Kodak P-880 and my Nikon 8400. It will be a fun shoot.

We have also seen some excellent Z740 photos posted right on this forum. I know that Silver uses one, and his photos are great, very sharp with lots of fine detail. With the introduction of the P or Performance Series, the prices on the Z740 have fallen substantially, making it worth a good look.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:33 PM   #5

I've been satisfied with the P850, but I am not in denial that the P880 is capable of sharper images. The image stabilization on my P850 seems to work well. Now, I've seen that several members of this forum have purchased fairly expensive accessory lenses and filters, probably bringing the cost of their equipment investment in line with a good entry level digital SLR. If this is also your intention, I would choose to pass on either of the Kodaks and simply buy the SLR.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:32 PM   #6

Hi Lisa, good to hear from you:-). OK heres my opinion, and its only my opinion, I dont want to upset any 850 owners. I do not have a p850 . From what I've seen and read, I would not swap my dx7590 for an 850. As you said the 6490/7590 are very similar and I would consider that switch for a VERY minimal cost. Newer isn't always better

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:18 PM   #7

You are really correct, Dan-

That is exactly why I mentioned the Z740 that Silver has had so much success with doing his bird photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:54 PM   #8

Hi Lisa,I had the 6490,until my lens wouldn't go back in,and when I went back to get another one they didn't have the 6490 and I ended up with the 7590,they are quite simaliar but different to,if that makes any sense.I like the 7590 and I'm finally beginning to get shot good pictures with it,but I did like the 6490 better.

I think if I was going to invest in another it would be the Z 740.Silver is getting some really great shots with it and the Tcon will work on it also

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:56 PM   #9

Well I knew I could depend on you good folks here!Thankyou so much for your opinions and your experiences with the models you used.It was interesting reading.I think I am leaning towards the z7590..just because its so darn close in features as my present one..and for $50 I go up from 4-5mp..I was seriously thinking about spending a little more and going 880 but I like my zoom.The 850 reviews I read always seemed to bring up a sharpness issue but then again when I researching the 6490 there was good and bad also... so I am going to stay with the familiar..:-).Unfortunately the z740 isn't on sale here..I really love silver's bird shots.But I was always happy with the 6490 and I am getting older and change is hard..lol.Thankyou again guys and gals for all your input!Really,really appreciate it!
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:29 PM   #10

I am late again. Sorry Lisa. If I had...And I hope I never do....But if I had to give up my 6490 the Z7590 or z740 would be my next I guess, unless of course I found a DX7590 for a really good price. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote