Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:46 AM   #1

Since there's been a lot of discussion lately about purchasing new equipment, cameras, lenses, etc., I was wondering where do the members of this forum buy their "stuff"? For initial purchases, of things like cameras and computers, I've found the best deals by first identifying exactly what I want, then checking on Techbargains.com for special limited time offers. There are unadvertised limited time discount offers posted there and you have to act fast to take advantage of them. I got my P850 for nearly half price that way. I've been watching patiently for a super deal on a DSLR. When one comes along I'll grab it, whether it's this weekend or months from now. For software and computer accessories and upgrades I usually start with NewEgg.com and Pricegrabber.com . For basics like memory cards or ink, I usually shop locally.

Any input?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

I've never really fussed about where it came from or where the big bargains were at. The camera was a gift and came from Office Depot, the computer was a walk in purchase again at the Office Depot, and so was my tripod. My Tcon came from B&H, of which was suggested to me from members of the forum. When I want something I usually just go out and buy it. But I am going to look into these sites that you have mentioned. I have not been able to find accessories for my Z740 at any of the retailers locally, I even went to a place called Ritz Camera and they didnt have anything, so accessories are purchased online.Thanks for posting!
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:47 AM   #3

FB, I use basically the same web sites as you. For camera stuff, like Silver said,we all like www.bhphotovideo.com. Not the cheapest but a huge variety and reputable. You may want to check Newegg's prices on dslr, they often run some great special deals.. buydig.com is another one to check . My biggest rule-- I refuse to buy stuff with rebates, I think its the biggest scam going, if they can give a rebate they can also just put it on sale but that way all buyers would save money

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:02 AM   #4

I like Amazon (free frt when over $25.00)

Overstock (cheap frt. and often lower prices than Amazon and Best Buy their sales are good and when I earn points on my citi bank credit card I get certificates for Best Buy.

Newegg has good deals and great return policy.

Last resort is use Froogle (shop search engine from Google)

BiLL!

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:35 AM   #5

Dan, I agree with you about rebates...a scam!

Bill, you have an advantage in that you can just hike over to 42nd St. or B&H on 9th Ave. and haggle yourself a deal. The secret is to be the very first customer as they are opening the doors. It's considered bad luck to lose the first sale of the day.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:39 AM   #6

Silver, I have to fuss about bargains... I've got 3 kids in college and a fourth one starting next year!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7

Just a myth!

Their prices are rock bottom considering their overhead. B & H is a 2 story giant store with a escolator and a tremendous staff of sales people. If the first customer does not buy it one of the next 3000 will for sure!

I do 90% of my shopping on line, I avoid E-Bay due to all the negative words floating around about the vendors there and their shipping / handling charges are absurd.

I avoid buying in NYC thus beating sales tax (8.25%) tolls and parking expenses, high test gas $2.89 a gallon.

BiLL

Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:58 AM   #8

B&H photo is my one place to shop. If not there then Adorama! I'm not much for hunting a bargain and will usually not mind what it costs as long as it is the item I want! B&H usually has what I need and there is no hassles as far as deilivery or satisfaction. If you don't like it return it!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:06 PM   #9

Bill, I'm gonna get nostalgic now. I can remember standing in line at 42nd St. Photo in the 1970s to buy a Minolta SLR and a telephoto lens. It was like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld! If you didn't know exactly what you wanted or had any questions at all, they had no patience with you and simply ignored you and served the next customer in line. NO CAMERA FOR YOU!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:25 PM   #10

Back then 100% of the sales staff were jewish orthodox and made no claim to any photo technical background. They were pure merchants. They bought inquantity, gray market and worked at a small mark up to keep the inventory moving.

Many of the sales people that worked at Camera Barn and Willowbys (2 major camera chains of NY past gone now) are part of the technical force at B&H and 47th Street (who was on the brink of bankruptcy when the over expanded in locations and computers).

A club my brother belongs to goes to free seminars at B&H whe has guest speakers from the industry come to speak on new technology.

The internet is the new merchandising frontier, no rent, sales force, all computerized.

BiLL