Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:05 AM   #1

OK... I like pictures of pretty birdies and old barns as much as the next guy, but this is the REAL world. What would you do with a picture like this? This is a pic of yet another new home going up on the distant outskirts of Albuquerque. I'll give my real world answer once I read some responses.
Attached Images

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:13 AM   #2

Albuquerque is getting crowded. Thats called expansion. People want to get close to the good things you enjoy too.

You can't stop expansion (unlike works of art that are made regularly they are not making new realestate). The best people can do is monitor and controll progress and expansion (it can't be stoped).

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:25 AM   #3

Suburban sprawl is a given. What about the quality of the photo? How would you salvage a pic like this?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:33 AM   #4

If it is the only picture you can get of this property then you need to load it into a processor and use some fill flash or the dodge tool. This will lighten up the shadowed front of the building. You also need to use the clone tool to remove the sun flare. Then I'd do a Auto enhance with the DCE Tools plugin and maybe some saturation! The very best thing you can do is wait until the sun is at 90 degrees to the building and using a polorizing filter re-shoot the photo all over again. Just a thought.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:37 AM   #5

well

1) retake the shot when the light is better.

2a) Take the existing shot, put it into PhotoshopCS and use the "shadow/highlight" tool and blow out the highlights (about 50%) Then

2b) Then, using the"clone tool" clone out the lensflare.

2c)Then use "smart sharpen" to add contrast to the edges.

all of that and you will still have a "less than" desirable, but useful image.

attached is your wee .jpg after 10 seconds of processing. Still terrible, But!

thegreygeek
Attached Images

Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:51 AM   #6

Thegreygeek got it right with suggestion number 1. I review and process a large batch of real estate photos each day for my company's magazine and when I get something like this or else 1/4 of the picture includes the photog's rearview mirror, I just throw it back and tell them "I don't have time to doctor up this garbage.... go back in the afternoon and take another shot!"

But The greygeek's techniques are what I would use if I absolutely HAD to use something like this.

**NOTE: I only reduced this pic down to post it here. I usually start with a large 300dpi image from a Nikon Coolpix 4600.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:00 AM   #7

Well Thank you Mr. facia, does that qualify me for some of those dryed peppers?

My current project is scanning in over 3000 slides that go back to the 60's, I'am rapidly becoming a PP expert, or going nuts, i'm not sure which.

thegreygeek
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:07 AM   #8

T.G.Geek, you have taken a sows ear and turned it into not a silk purse but a very good nylon change purse!

I am in the market for a slide scanner, the Konica Minolta Dimage IV has been recomended and I recall a Olympus (p10 I think).

Any recomendations ??

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:32 AM   #9

Thats the better Ican do....

Attached Images

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:40 AM   #10

Ok;

My current love is the Scan Elite 5400. I believe, from reading reviews, the Dimage IV is an excellent scanner for under $250. I am also, believe it or not, using an Epson RX500 all-in-one Purchesed for $78 after the $50 rebate. I do all of the processing in Photoshop in order to have better control. For example, I may want to only remove the dust and scratches from the sky area and use the healing tool for the remainder of the image. Attached is a scan done on the Epson that was about 50% mildew and about 25% scratched up. the original was taken in September of 1966.

Hope that helps

Bob
Attached Images