Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

Did any P850 or P880 userhad tried shooting in .raw or .tiff?

If so, can someone post some pictures!!

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:09 PM   #2

Yes I have. My understanding (and I am probably wrong) is that the RAw & TIFF files are very large. After editing, they need to be compressed to JPG anyway.

There are 2 schools of thought here.

#1- JPG Fine is great for what ever you may need.

#2- Only shoot in RAW & TIFF. LOL, pick your poison.

JPG breaks down after so many edits? I think is what I read. I only shoot in fine because I have a small memory card right now, although the 850 will process RAW or TIFF.

Sorry I don't have examples for you. I did do a few in TIFF, but did not see a big enough difference to keep doing it.

(Probably the photographer and not the camera)

Tracy
dejavudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:17 PM   #3

Thank youforthe opinion!!

The size of the pictures don't bother me alot..

I bought a 80Gb hard drive for 80$US so I have enough space on my computer:G

Now that I know that the Tcon17 doesn't fit on the p880 I am looking totheP850!!

I am still waiting to see some .Raw or .tiff files!!

I saw alot of pictures taken in .raw with other cameras and I hope that the p850 will do the same!

I will probably buy the p850 this summer:-)
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:17 PM   #4

I surely do agree with Tracy!

I tried both raw and tiff. They are huge files, and you will eventually be using them in jpeg anyway so here is what I do. I shoot in jpeg. If I want an archive file of the photo, using my software, Iimmediately save it as a tiff or a png (both loss-less) for the archive file.

By doing that I have the advantages of both file types.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:14 PM   #5

Here is an article I found on dpreview!!!

RAW vs. JPEG
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano....asp#rawvsjpeg

Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:51 PM   #6

All of your camera settings except exposure and focus can be adjusted in the raw image just as if you were doing it in the camera. The camera just modifies the raw image in the camera to give white balance, sharpening, contrast and saturation for JPG and TIFF output. Most cameras do some destructive noise reduction from raw to JPG and TIFF as well, and I prefer to do it selectively myself. Raw gives you the greatest dynamic range and fewest artifacts. There is a little comparison here for the P850: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakp850/page9.asp

I see no advantage to TIFF. It takes forever to store and you miss shots. And it quickly fills the memory. The P850 has a decent compression quality in fine and you would be hard pressed to see any difference between a TIFF and fine JPG.

The P850 has decent cycle times for raw. Not as good as the FZ30 or A200, but better than most. It can still be a hassle in dynamic situations, and you can't use the burst mode.

There is no advantage to converting a JPG to a loseless format for storage. The JPG is as good as it gets and is your digital negative. There is an advantage to saving in a loseless format after processing to avoid a second compression.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:44 AM   #7

I usually shoot in Fine JPEG mode and then save selected pics in TIFF at 300 dpi if the shot is going to be used in my company's real estate magazine. I'll save pics as a smaller, lower dpi JPEG for emailing or posting to the web. I learned to use RAW, just for its own sake, but so far have not had any use for it. I attended a Photoshop seminar several months ago and the Photoshop "guru" presenting it insisted that everyone should always shoot in RAW. To quote Cartman from South Park, "Whatever! I do what I want!"
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:03 AM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Raw gives you the greatest dynamic range and fewest artifacts.

I see no advantage to TIFF. It takes forever to store and you miss shots. And it quickly fills the memory. The P850 has a decent compression quality in fine and you would be hard pressed to see any difference between a TIFF and fine JPG.
As noted above the advantage of RAW is greater dynamic range. TIFF files offer no advantage over RAW and take longer to store increasing your shot to shot times and taking more space on the CD card.

The image from the CCD is 12 bits per channel. JPEGs only save 8 bits per channel so some information gets tossed. For most of your shots you'll probably find the the fine jpeg setting is more than enough.

The only time I shoot RAW is in difficult lighting situations.In these cases I also use the P850s histogram and "expose to the right" meaning when shooting I adjust the exposure to the bright side of the histogram without blowing out highlights.

The reason for doing this is because digital cameras store more info about the bright areas of the scene than dark areas. I then adjust for proper exposure in Photoshop Elements 4 and Adobe Camera Raw.

A better explaination can be found on Adobe's website. Here are a few articles that explain it far better than I can.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...near_gamma.pdf

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...rawcapture.pdf

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:18 AM   #9

Thank you for the links Kenny!!!

Boily
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:49 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I surely do agree with Tracy!

I tried both raw and tiff. They are huge files, and you will eventually be using them in jpeg anyway so here is what I do. I shoot in jpeg. If I want an archive file of the photo, using my software, Iimmediately save it as a tiff or a png (both loss-less) for the archive file.

By doing that I have the advantages of both file types.

MT
Don't you, by shooting jpeg, take an initial andirretrievablecompression loss?
domang is offline   Reply With Quote