Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:45 AM   #21

No.3
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:11 PM   #22

Oh sure..................you didn't know me....LOL.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:48 PM   #23

Well I didn't!! LOL But by following the instructions you can make one. I've found the dip coating works very well and all it takes is a mold made from plastic of some kind. Even a wooden one will work if you load it up with wax! The dip coating can be purchased from Harbor Freight.

Dawg
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:31 AM   #24

ok hijackers, time to get back on topic here (jk guys easy)

the z612 looks like a great camera, but it appears to be pretty much like the z740 model but with image stabilization.

I really didnt see much that it offers BETTER than the p850. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but still no hot shoe anyway.

Kodak was putting all of their efforts on theultra compacts with the latest models being the v550, v550, then the Kodak One, and now thev570 too.

That seemed to be where the market was going, people were demanding the ultra compacts over the ultra zooms.

Then they dived into the higher end pro/enthusiast models with the p850 and the p880. A great leap for Kodak, and so far the jury is out, but id say its fairing well.

But seriously, i do not see where Kodak is going by introducing this Z612 cam. It does not cover either markets, ultra compact or ultra zoom.

I would like to see a Kodak Ultra Zoom that compares with this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...asonicfx01.asp

Look at the specs on that baby. Hope I do not soundanti-Kodak by mentioning another manufactures cam, but IMO Kodak is missingthe boat in the ultra compacts (no IS in ANY of themodels, and the P850 is the ONLY Kodakwith IS).

and now the Z612???

the question isWHY??
WHY?

(just my 2 cents)
:|

*modifiedpost by fixing a few typos
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:24 AM   #25

You're welcome to spend your 2 cents here anytime! I would like to second most everything you said! It's just that IS is not something I put very high on my want list! But that's my 2 cents!

Dawg
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:05 AM   #26

But, thanks to Panasonic's constant, and somewhat mis-leading series of television advertisments, IS has been made a realissue to consumersfor all cameras.

By the way the P-880 does not have IS.

I would venture the opinion that Kodak does indeed have a much smaller ultra zoom in the pipeline and that it will have IS. The Z-612 is out there to hold the show together until the new Kodak ultra zooms come to market.

The significant thing that the Z-612 does is to lower the average price in the Kodak line of cameras that has both ultra zoom and IS, while creating a time buffer for the R &D Department to come up with the next generation of long zoom, simple, well priced cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:17 PM   #27

My 6490 with at least 6.0 MP's and a shutter realease option with the 12X zoom would be what I'd like to see! A hotshoe would just be iceing on the cake! Manual zoom and focus would be milk to go with the cake! LOL

Dawg