Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

I have a Kodak CW330 4MP digital camera and a Cokin 0.5X Wide Angle Lens that magnetizes to the cameras lens barrel. When I have the Cokin attached and have my camera at full wide angle the edges of the picture are blurry or out of focus. What is causing this? Here are 4 examples:

ken68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:12 PM   #2

Ken-

It does not look/appear like the accessory lens is attached squarely/properly. The left side of the photo looks better than the right side. The distortion can be corrected in software using a program such as Paint Shop Pro.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 PM   #3

Well I will look into that, also it looks like a "Fish Eye" view, which means the center of the image looks closer then the sides. How can I correct this?

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:08 PM   #4

I use a program called DCE Tools that has a filter to correct barrel distortion. You are going to get some of that (the barrel distortion) from a really wide angle lens! It's almost a given. But the DCE Tools plugin can correct it to some extent! Try mediachance.com and go to their DCE Tools page and download it for free. Works with all photoshop programs and Paint shop pro too I think! I don't know why but most wide angle lens will some where in the zoom range give a little vignetting ( the dark side in the photo) on the right side! Sometimes on the left as well but most times on the right side. Seen it with mine and others. May be the way the threads are cut into the camera or the lens!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the information, I thought my lens was defective, till I zoomed in a little and the barrel distortion disappeared a little.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:07 PM   #6

You're always welcome! Just glad I knew this one. There are so many I either don't get right or just don't know! LOL

Dawg
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:39 AM   #7

Thanks again.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:51 AM   #8

Your welcome again!! LOL You know of course we can keep this going for 60 days or so and have the longest thread in the forum!!1 LOL
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:01 PM   #9

I will live with this setup for a few months till our Mastercards are paid off (Xmas maxed the Credit Cards out). Then I will be ready to upgrade to a Z700 or a Z740.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:28 AM   #10

I haven't seen much on the 700, but the 740 has been used extensively by folks on this forum and others with no bad rap that I can remember! Wish my DX6490 had the 5X digi-zoom sometimes. LOL but then again I don't think I'll ever have enough Zoom!!!! LOL

Dawg