Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

I was in a Walmart today that had a Canon, Sony and Kodak 6X4" Dye-Sub Printers on display. For curiousities sake I opened each printer's catridge door and looked at the cartidge bay configuration. Believe it or not they were all exactly the same configuration and probably means the cartridges are interchangeable. That means I can shop for the lowest priced cartridge for my Kodak PD3. I work in retail, my guess is probly one or two companies make the cartridges for all the small Dye-Sub Printer for all the different brands. It is not very uncommon in the industry. Look at LCD Monitors, only about 4 to 5 companies manufactures the worlds supply of LCD Panels. Same as memory chips only about 4 companies manufacture the worlds supply of memory chips. Next time I am at Walmart I have a friend in the Electronics Section, I will ask him if I can try inserting and trying out a used Sony or Canon Cartridge in a Kodak PD3 or vise versa.
ken68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2

ken-

Your observation certainly seems logical. Give us a report as your investigation progresses.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3

Will do, but will probably be next Sunday, Sunday is the only day off from my work.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4

Here is a picture of a Canon CP-100 with it's cartridge removed and shown, I had my Kodak PD3 beside me and removed the cartridge and compared it to the Canon's pictured cartridge. If you have a Kodak 6X4" Dye-Sub you can compare your cartridge to the pictured Canon. Shape, holes and notches and arrows on the cartridge is exactly the same. Which means it came off the same molding machine. Also if you look at the cartridge slot on the Canon and compare it to the Kodak's it is identical exept for the color of the cartridge holding tab. It is green on the Kodak and orange on the Canon, but the technical design is identical including the position of the cartridge holding tab, the pin that fits into the cartridge is in the same identical position as the Kodak. Take a look at the picture and make your own judgements and post comments.

Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:31 PM   #5

Here is another picture of a Samsung 6X4" Dye-Sub Printer showing the side of the cartridge and the side of the cartridge slot of the Samsung Printer. Again the cartridge and the cartridge slot designs are identical to the Kodaks. Am I just a fool wishing for ways of finding cheaper ways of printing or am I finding out a Dye-Sub Printer industry secret that most 6X4" Dye-Sub Printer use the same type of cartridges?

Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:47 PM   #6

Canon KP36I Cartridge comparison to Kodak.

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7

Many thanks, Ken-

You have really forged ahead with your investigation. Congratulations! I don't own a dye sub printer myself. However, if I did, I would be just like you. I would want to find the least expensive source of basic supplies. I really do think that you are on to something, Ken.

I did know that the entire world-wide supply of flash memory was produced in just a handful of factories or plants, so it seems most logical indeed, to supposed the same might be true as well for dye-sub printers.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:23 PM   #8

Thanks, will report back when I can compare physically cartridges between my PD3 and other companies cartridges, I will try and get some photos if the store lets me.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 AM   #9

The wife has one and I will be looking forward to your investigative report! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:16 PM   #10

Will do as soon as I can. Probably this coming Sunday because I work 6 Days a week and by the end of the work day it is too late to go to the store.