Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:02 AM   #1

Price grabber show a list ofthe TOP 25 Digital Cameras.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/home_mostpop.php/catzero=76

Only one of these models listed is a Kodak brand - z740,
(which happens to be my least favorite model)

I wonder if it is time to reconsider my selections......
am I missing something?

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2

techgeek-

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a camera. There are many happy Kodak users out there. I saw where you were sending the V-530 back. What was the problem with the V-530?

If you are looking for IS in your dream camera, Panasonic seems to have some of the best, although I certainly have no complaints about the IS on my Kodak P-850. What is it that you are looking for, perhaps we can help.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3

I've been generallysatisfied withKodak. No complaints. I've captured thousands of great pics over the last year. Had5 different models and "tested" them all rigorously. The V530 being thelatest. They were all easy to use and performed beyond expectations.

But the"Top 25" list made me wonder. Why only one Kodak model? Is Kodak not one of the leaders in digicams?

There is obviously something intriguing about using acam that will perform better than"most" of the others in it's class. Is thattoo much to ask?I now wonder, are my current Kodaks just"standard" anymore? It does appearthat Kodak seems to wait until another company releases something hot until they release a comparable product. Seriously, why is it that Panasonic is releasing the UC with IS, andnot Kodak?

This weekend I am going tovisit some local cameraretailers (online only goes so far) and get my hands directlyon the top selling cams in each class, just to get a feel for how theycompare. I'd really like to find out if the quality differences are that great.

Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:20 PM   #4

techgeek-

You make a good point. Kodak has for the last 1 to 2 years has been in sort of a "me too" mode rather than taking on the role of the innovator. In contrast, Panasonic hascreated interest intheirbrand in the last 18 or so months, by a two pronged attack. They have used heavy television advertising, and they have equipped every new model with OIS (optical image stabilization). Through their efforts, Panasonic has moved the brand from a brand known primarily for their IS equipped ultra zooms, to a brand that has made models to suit many users, all equipped with OIS.

Howerver, in any analysis, we have to give Kodak some credit too. Two years ago they had weak sales and a line of digital cameras that were only poor and so-so. Starting with the introduction of the DX-6340 and the DX-6490, Kodak made a real effort to turn the brand around.

Kodak has improved their cameras a lot, become more pro-active with consumers, and greatly improved their www.kodak.com website. No, they are not as big a gun in the camera world as, Canon, Nikon, or Panasonic, but few are. Take a look at what a struggle Olympus has been through in the last 12 to 18 months.

Because of the wide diversification of their business, Canon is the power that they are because they generate a lot of profits over a wide sales base. The are heavily into R&D and they have been able to pour a lot of money into camera promotion and new product development. In any top list you will be able to find multiple Canon cameras.

It is the old saying--it takes money to make money!

MT
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:33 PM   #5

If you are always seeking the best just to have THE one EVERYONE says is THE best then you'll probably never be satisfied with any camera you own. As soon as you buy THE best someone will come out with what EVERYONE says is a better one. Find one that suits you for the type of photography your doing and then use it until a proven change in digi- photography comes along and investigate it yourself. Don't just buy because someone says it is THE best! I'll stick with my trusty DX6490 a while longer because I've yet to see a non-DSLR that is so much better for what I do that I'd spend any money on it!! Just a thought!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:02 PM   #6

BigDwag-

You have made an excellent point! The camera industry would love it if we just purchased a new camera each year. It would be the answer to their market prayers.

Better yet, that we develop the very most skill with our current camera. Make a friend out of it, and get the very best photos by using it frequently, and really know all its features.

MT
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:17 PM   #7

You hit the nail on the head MT.

Dawg
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8

great points!!

yes it takes money to make money.. but doesnt Kodak have a large worldwide market right now? How are they able to put out so many new cams a year without money? they develop them, they manufacture them, they market them. But yet they are still behind in R&D? It doesnt make sense.

yes, ifyou are going to be a good photographer it helps to understand how your camera works. And Dawg you have proven your ability better than anyone to get some great shots. But that is more you than just your cam itself. I could see you nailing great shots with a 2MP and no features. You give your cam to much credit. Take some for yourself.

Look how far it has come in the last 2 years. Now we have Optical Image Stabilization, Touch Screen LCD's, 3" sizeLCD's, better len's, better image sensors, ect. Tokeep up everything these days you almost need a new cam every 4-6 months. And that'sok with me. I love the bells and whistles. If it flashes, spins around, and does anything cool, thats fine, but if its faster andmakes your pics more sharp and more colorful - I want to take full advantage of it.

Sure a D-SLR can help to improve performance, and forthe $2,000 or more it should.But even those classes are evolving dramatically too.

Will I ever be satisfied? Sure,maybe for a week, a month, or til the newer model comes out with more buttons, features, and capabilities. It's just so much fun being in the middle of it all. Guess that's just part of being a "tech geek".

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:45 AM   #9

It is certainly alright to feel the way you do. Some times with one of my son-inlaws who should have your name as well, I really feel the generation gap the way I did with my own dad. He looks for every " neat" new thing out there and pays through the nose for it sometimes. I sure don't want to tell anyone what not to buy, but do caution everyone that wants the newest gadget out there to be patient and the price will drop dramatically with time. Of course if you wait too long it is not" Cutting edge stuff" by then! It's a rat race alright and I see no end. If you buy it when it's new then you pay too much but if you wait until it is affordable it's no longer the best!!! LAWD..LAWD..LAWD!!! When will it end?????/ I do think you have a good point about Kodak not being fully invested into this "Rat Race". They are reacting the same way Auto manufacturers did in the 70's when the Japanese car makers started with the small compact cars with the fit and finish and the durability as well as the price that Detroit just couldn't match! Maybe Kodak has too many of my generation in the top floor and not enough innovators!! You are right in a lot of what you say man. But I'm just not built to dance to their waltz right now! Mentally that is!! LOL Have a nice weekend. I've got to work on through it and am not going to have a good one myself!!

The old Dawg!!
Attached Images